What disciplines do I need for building a Quadcopter?

The first covers everything from choosing a frame, hardware and software setup. The second covers flight controller selection.In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of building a drone from scratch and the necessary knowledge and skills needed for this task. The participants suggest learning basic physics, mechanics, calculus, and differential equations to understand the necessary mathematical concepts. They also recommend resources such as khanacademy.org and a graduate level course textbook for learning these concepts. Additionally, they provide links to online communities and resources for building and programming a drone, specifically recommending the use of ardupilot software.
JimBakker
Hi everybody, new to the forums :) I have a personal dream to build a drone/quadcopter from scratch. I'm aware it's not an easy task, and I've also searched this forum (and Google) for similar threads before posting:
My Question(s)

My goal is first simulating a quadcopter before building it, but when looking at the PDF suggested in the second link, I cannot understand most of the symbols found in the document. Quite frankly I'm lost and only guessing certain parts :(
  • I'd love to know the minimum knowledge in order to understand this document in particular.
  • Is there a site where I can easily find the definition of every Mathematical symbols, other then Wiki and this?
  • My Math and physics background is based on 3D game programming. I'm no professional, but I can write my own 3D scenes in modern OpenGL using C++. So I'm able to construct matrices and multiply them in order to create model, view, projection matrices.

I can also give my simulation basic high-school physics: like springs, gravity, etc. But unfortunately, I've learned everything on the Internet in bits and pieces just to get a scene running.
If I learned math and physics from a programmer point of view, how can I learn to read math and physics in that PDF? I'll handle the electronics part, but reading this document is my problem.

Thank you very much for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

I looked at the paper. It's pretty good except that the author is sloppy in defining his variables. Your problem is not that you lack a dictionary of mathematical symbols, but rather that you lack basic physics, mechanics, calculus and differential equations. I don't think the gaming approach will work. You need real physics.

But there is a way to do it without two years of engineering school. khanacademy.org provides perhaps the easiest possible way to learn those things you need. Check it out.

Likes berkeman
anorlunda said:
:welcome:

I looked at the paper. It's pretty good except that the author is sloppy in defining his variables. Your problem is not that you lack a dictionary of mathematical symbols, but rather that you lack basic physics, mechanics, calculus and differential equations. I don't think the gaming approach will work. You need real physics.

But there is a way to do it without two years of engineering school. khanacademy.org provides perhaps the easiest possible way to learn those things you need. Check it out.

Wow, that was a quick reply, thanks Anorlunda. I guess you read that document the same way a programmer reads code. I really hope I can do that as well.

So you suggest I try learning: basic physics, mechanics, calculus and differential equations? I'll search and prepare my study curriculum immediately if that's the case.

berkeman said:
You can have a look through this Wikipedia page to start to get more of a feel for the math behind Control Theory and Feedback... :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory

Berkeman, thank you very much for sharing as well. Sorry about the late response. Going back to basic physics, calculus and mechanics as Anorlunda suggested first, and hopefully I'll get it afterwards.

Likes berkeman
I took a graduate level course in control systems for flight dynamics and this was the textbook that they used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691149216/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It was really interesting because the techniques that were used here were developed out of research done for the US Air Force. There was a small startup formed in order to sell an autopilot built on the technology and it was somewhat recently acquired by Lockheed Martin. What I really liked about the course is that the book starts from first principles and develops the theory bit by bit. At first it develops the equations of motion, then talks about sensors (including GPS) and filtering, and eventually ends somewhere near path planning with waypoints. Although the book focuses mainly on fixed-wing aircraft, there is enough there that the leap to quadrotors won't be too bad.

The prerequisites for this are probably a good understanding of linear algebra, calculus, kinematics, and maybe some fluid dynamics.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the main discipline needed for building a Quadcopter?

The main discipline needed for building a Quadcopter is electrical engineering. This involves understanding the principles of electronics and circuit design, as well as being able to troubleshoot and fix any electrical issues that may arise during the building process.

2. Do I need to have knowledge in programming to build a Quadcopter?

Yes, having knowledge in programming is essential for building a Quadcopter. This is because the flight controller, which is the brain of the Quadcopter, requires programming to control the motors and other components.

3. Is mechanical engineering important for building a Quadcopter?

While mechanical engineering is not the main discipline needed for building a Quadcopter, it is still important. Understanding how to design and assemble the frame, as well as how to select and mount the motors and propellers, requires knowledge in mechanical engineering.

4. What about knowledge in aerodynamics and physics?

Having a basic understanding of aerodynamics and physics can be beneficial when building a Quadcopter. This can help in selecting the right type and size of propellers, as well as understanding how different factors such as wind can affect the flight of the Quadcopter.

5. Are there any other disciplines that may be useful for building a Quadcopter?

Other disciplines that may be useful for building a Quadcopter include computer science, which can help with programming the flight controller, and material science, which can aid in selecting the right materials for the frame and other components. Additionally, having knowledge in remote control systems and wireless communication can be beneficial for controlling the Quadcopter.