What Happens When I Eat More Doughnuts Than Planned?

• Thread starter julian
  • Start date
In summary: I buy a box of 28 doughnuts with the intention of eating two doughnuts each lunch time. If I stick to two doughnuts per day I end up eating the last two doughnuts on say a Thursday. (I then need to start the next box of 28 doughnuts the day after that on the Friday at lunch time.)In summary, if I don't have the two doughnuts I was going to eat on the Thursday and if I don't have the two I was going to eat on the Wednesday, I must have eaten FOUR extra doughnuts.
julian
Gold Member
I buy a box of 28 doughnuts with the intention of eating two doughnuts each lunch time. If I stick to two doughnuts per day I end up eating the last two doughnuts on say a Thursday. (I then need to start the next box of 28 doughnuts the day after that on the Friday at lunch time.)

I have a question about the first box of 28 doughnuts...

QUESTION: If on some of the lunch times I eat 3 doughnuts instead of 2 (so I eat an extra doughnut), how many extra doughnuts would I have eaten in order to have none left to eat on the Wednesday?

Here are two different answers:

ANSWER A: If I don't have the two doughnuts I was going to eat on the Thursday and if I don't
have the two I was going to eat on the Wednesday, I must have eaten FOUR extra
doughnuts.

ANSWER B: I would have to start the second box of doughnuts on the Wednesday instead of
starting it on the Friday. Wednesday lunch time is 3 days earlier than Friday lunch time because we can count Wednesday 1, Thursday 2, Friday 3. Therefore I must have eaten 3 day's worth extra or in other words SIX extra doughnuts.

Which answer is correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If Wednesday is 3 days earlier than Friday, then Thursday is 2 days earlier than Friday, then Friday is a day earlier than Friday, and, I guess, Saturday is then the same day as Friday?

Likes Intrastellar
PeroK said:
If Wednesday is 3 days earlier than Friday, then Thursday is 2 days earlier than Friday, then Friday is a day earlier than Friday, and, I guess, Saturday is then the same day as Friday?

Are you saying ANSWER B is absurd?

julian said:
Are you saying ANSWER B is absurd?

Yes, it's absurd!

Hi PeroK. Is ANSWER A O.K.?

By your definition of counting days, Each day is 1 day earlier than the day itself. So we have a problem with B.
E: oh nvm, PeroK already mentioned this, I was just reading the first post.

julian said:
Hi PeroK. Is ANSWER A O.K.?

Yes, it's got to be 4.

Another way of saying the same thing:

julian said:
Wednesday lunch time is 3 days earlier than Friday lunch time because we can count Wednesday 1, Thursday 2, Friday 3.
No you can't. Wednesday beginning-of-lunch (say, 12PM) to Friday beginning-of-lunch (12PM) is 2 days, not 3.

What you're trying to do is count Wednesday 12PM to Friday 1PM.

A is correct, but it's also irrelevant. Those doughnuts will be stale by the first Monday.

Likes davenn, nuuskur, Intrastellar and 1 other person
Since you got an answer let's talk about eating doughnuts every day for lunch... please tell me no one actually does that. You may as well be eating candy.

I just came up with doughnuts for the purposes of the question.

1. What does "One of these is wrong." mean?

"One of these is wrong." is a statement that is used to indicate that out of a group or list of things, one of them is not correct or accurate.

2. How do I know which one is wrong?

In order to determine which one is wrong, you will need to carefully examine each item and compare it to any relevant information or evidence. It may also be helpful to seek the opinion of others or conduct further research.

3. Is there a way to fix the wrong item?

Depending on the context, there may be a way to fix the wrong item. If it is a mistake or error, it may be corrected. If it is a matter of opinion or interpretation, it may be revised or amended. However, if it is a fact or truth, it cannot be changed.

4. Can there be more than one thing that is wrong?

Yes, it is possible for there to be more than one thing that is wrong. In some cases, multiple items may be incorrect or inaccurate. Additionally, there may be various perspectives or interpretations that could be considered "wrong".

5. Why is it important to identify the wrong item?

Identifying the wrong item is important because it allows for corrections to be made and for accurate information to be presented. It also helps to prevent further misunderstandings or mistakes. In scientific research, identifying and correcting errors is crucial for maintaining the integrity and validity of findings.