What Happens When ω²LC=1 in an RLC Circuit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter whatisreality
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electric Impedance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
whatisreality
Messages
286
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Consider a circuit with a capacitor C in series an inductor of inductance L. Explain what happens when ω2LC=1, without calculations, using your knowledge and intuition.

Homework Equations


1/Z = 1/impedance = 1/(iωL) +1/(iωC)
i is pure imaginary.

The Attempt at a Solution


Well, unfortunately I have no intuition. I don't know what the quantity ω2LC represents, but it appears in the equation when you rearrange to find Z. So when I worked out Z, it was -1/(iωC+iωL) when the set condition is met. Which is a bit weird, because -ve resistance makes no sense...?
I've obviously gone wrong somewhere!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, a capacitor has impedance $$1\over j\omega C$$
Look here for some ideas
 
So when ω2LC=1 then the inductive and capacitive reactances are equal. The current is oscillating at the resonant frequency of the circuit?
 
That's right. Nothing wrong with your intuition.
Reactances are equal and opposite. So together they are 'zero'. ##\bf V = Z I## (bold face to mark them as complex): there can be huge currents shooting back and forth with 'no' voltage needed to whip them up. In reality you can't have a lossless system, so characteristics of an RLC circuit sneak in.