What hobbies and interests do you have outside academia?

  • Thread starter Thread starter beamie564
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Members
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
144 replies · 22K views
Now i am getting older i partake in more sedentary sports, i am quite good at Wellie Wanging, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellie_wanging.
Another sport i enjoy is Gurning although i have never won a competition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurn.
One competition i would love to win is Cheese Rolling though i think i am getting to old for it.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper's_Hill_Cheese-Rolling_and_Wake
The last sport although you will not find it on the internet was Cow Pat throwing, one had to find a nicely dried cow pat and throw it like a discus, the cow pat had to land in one piece for one to win.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kjdfhgd and Sophia
Physics news on Phys.org
where do I start ? :rolleyes:

amateur radio
seismology
rock, mineral and fossil collecting
general electronics --- includes commercial manufacturing and sales ( a good paying hobby ... funds some of my other expensive ones)
astronomy
photography, including astrophotography
coin and banknote collecting
still do some model building ... the latest will be a 1:1 scale of the Millennium Falcon model as used for filming in Star Wars
This will be the most complex and largest one I have ever done, measuring roughly 1 metre in diameter ( a kit spread out over a year or so)

That's the core of them :wink:
Dave
 
davenn said:
where do I start ? :rolleyes:

amateur radio
seismology
rock, mineral and fossil collecting
general electronics --- includes commercial manufacturing and sales ( a good paying hobby ... funds some of my other expensive ones)
astronomy
photography, including astrophotography
coin and banknote collecting
still do some model building ... the latest will be a 1:1 scale of the Millennium Falcon model as used for filming in Star Wars
This will be the most complex and largest one I have ever done, measuring roughly 1 metre in diameter ( a kit spread out over a year or so)

That's the core of them :wink:
Dave
That's a lot! Rock, mineral and fossil collecting sounds interesting. Do you go on trips and look for them yourself or do you buy them? What kind of fossils do you have?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
Sophia said:
That's a lot! Rock, mineral and fossil collecting sounds interesting. Do you go on trips and look for them yourself or do you buy them? What kind of fossils do you have?
it keeps me out of trouble :wink:

I find having many hobbies is good ... if I get a little bored with one, I can move on to do work on one of the other ones

Much of the overseas samples are purchased, either imported by local rock and mineral shops or I purchased from similar shops
when traveling overseas. ( it's the only way to get some of the stuff).

Over the years have done lots of collecting as I traveled around the countryside both here in Australia and back in my home country of New Zealand
Stopping at road cuttings, beaches, mining quarries and all sorts of other places ...

My fossils ... mainly NZ ones and all personally collected. NZ has an abundance of marine fossils.
3 of the cooler ones ... 30 million yr old HUGE oysters from SW area South Island. 65 million yr old Ammonites from a quarry close to my old home
... The last of their kind before the big K-T extinction event. 500 million yr old Trilobites from the NW region of the South Island

They are all still in New Zealand ... there is a thing called the Equities Act which limits the export of the country's natural history
If I wanted to take any of them out, they would all have to be sent to the local univ geology dept for appraisal to determine if they were common
or rare species. Just too much hassle.

The only ones I brought with me were ones that were purchased and are not NZ fossils

I did bring my entire rock and mineral collection to Australia when I moved here. Cost me a fortune in airfreight costs ( a lot of weight haha)
my rock and mineral collection includes 3 specialty areas
Fluorescing ones ( under UV light), radio active ones, and meteorites

Just in case you are interested ... the seismology interest ... I run my own seismic recording station.
5 of the 6 sensors are online, they update every 5 minutes.
http://www.sydneystormcity.com/seismograms.htmcheers
Dave
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia
phinds said:
Several hobbies, but one that takes a lot of my time is the creation/maintenance of an enormous educational website for information about wood:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
You wrote all that?! :oldsurprised:

I like how this one looks like: It says at your website Movingui
movingui,%20figured%20veneer%201%20closeup%20s25%20plh.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
Hot rods
Drums
Bicycling on and off road
Hiking (day hikes)
Photography
Poetry
Physics
 
davenn said:
it keeps me out of trouble :wink:

I find having many hobbies is good ... if I get a little bored with one, I can move on to do work on one of the other ones

Much of the overseas samples are purchased, either imported by local rock and mineral shops or I purchased from similar shops
when traveling overseas. ( it's the only way to get some of the stuff).

Over the years have done lots of collecting as I traveled around the countryside both here in Australia and back in my home country of New Zealand
Stopping at road cuttings, beaches, mining quarries and all sorts of other places ...

My fossils ... mainly NZ ones and all personally collected. NZ has an abundance of marine fossils.
3 of the cooler ones ... 30 million yr old HUGE oysters from SW area South Island. 65 million yr old Ammonites from a quarry close to my old home
... The last of their kind before the big K-T extinction event. 500 million yr old Trilobites from the NW region of the South Island

They are all still in New Zealand ... there is a thing called the Equities Act which limits the export of the country's natural history
If I wanted to take any of them out, they would all have to be sent to the local univ geology dept for appraisal to determine if they were common
or rare species. Just too much hassle.

The only ones I brought with me were ones that were purchased and are not NZ fossils

I did bring my entire rock and mineral collection to Australia when I moved here. Cost me a fortune in airfreight costs ( a lot of weight haha)
my rock and mineral collection includes 3 specialty areas
Fluorescing ones ( under UV light), radio active ones, and meteorites

Just in case you are interested ... the seismology interest ... I run my own seismic recording station.
5 of the 6 sensors are online, they update every 5 minutes.
http://www.sydneystormcity.com/seismograms.htmcheers
Dave
That's fascinating! And I believe you spent a small fortune at the airport :-) but it would be such a pity not to take them to the new home after collecting it for a long time.
I only have a few "healing" gems like citrine, crystal, hematite, tiger's eye and similar. However, I suspect some of them are fake.
Where have you learned about the minerals and fossils? Can you recommend a book or website?
 
H
Sophia said:
That's fascinating! And I believe you spent a small fortune at the airport :-) but it would be such a pity not to take them to the new home after collecting it for a long time.
I only have a few "healing" gems like citrine, crystal, hematite, tiger's eye and similar. However, I suspect some of them are fake.
Where have you learned about the minerals and fossils? Can you recommend a book or website?

Here is a book Sophia https://wordery.com/dictionary-of-g...currency=GBP&gtrck=VnY0QUY3YjIyZ3pPT21zWXZxZF
 
Sophia said:
I only have a few "healing" gems like citrine, crystal, hematite, tiger's eye and similar. However, I suspect some of them are fake.

The crystals/minerals are probably not fake
BUT the purported healing properties of them are :wink::wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia
davenn said:
The crystals/minerals are probably not fake
BUT the purported healing properties of them are :wink::wink:
Careful now; Deepak Chopra is going to be very upset with you.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia
phinds said:
Careful now; Deepak Chopra is going to be very upset with you.

hahaha, I had to google the name

but seriously ! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
 
I like studying ( mostly science and Astrophysics - Cosmology in particular ), playing chess - I play since 8 y.o. and vacations. I love playing the electric guitar and play since 16 classic guitar. I managed to get a strat beauty back in '96, and a marshall combo after hard work. The last 5 - 6 years I've been much more serious about playing electric guitar, attending a lot of online lessons and playing - I thank America for that too. What inspires me most, is the groovy thing of Hendrix playing - the chords - phrasing alternation, and I follow his masterpieces in detail. I also like rock from 70's - 80's, some hard rock and a little bit of (old) metal.
 
Sophia said:
Great, adding that to the list of things I'll buy when I win the lottery :partytime:
That's like a minimal monthly wage here :)

Well this site may interest you http://www.gia.edu/ i have a beautiful 14inch high by7inch wide amethyst geode on my mantelpiece.
 
wolram said:
Well this site may interest you http://www.gia.edu/ i have a beautiful 14inch high by7inch wide amethyst geode on my mantelpiece.

nice, I will photo my one tonite, but as a teaser ...
my wife standing in front of a huge amethyst geode

IMGP0852a.jpg


Worlds biggest Amethyst Geode – The ‘Empress of Uruguay’ – Atherton Tablelands, Cairns, Australia
At well over 3 metres tall (that’s 11 feet) and weighing two and a half tonnes,

Cindy is 5'3"

cheers
Dave
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, collinsmark and Sophia
wolram said:
Well this site may interest you http://www.gia.edu/ i have a beautiful 14inch high by7inch wide amethyst geode on my mantelpiece.
Thanks, I'll check that out :-) amethysts are beautiful
 
@phinds , since you insisted :wink:

OK couple of mineral clumps from my collection

first a section of an amethyst geode

2016_03_10_5200sm.jpg


and a conglomerate of a number of minerals
Stilbite, Quartz, Chabazite and something else I have yet to identify ( the small brown crystals)

2016_03_10_5195sm.jpg


cheers
Dave
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia
davenn said:
OK couple of mineral clumps from my collection

first a section of an amethyst geode

View attachment 97131

and a conglomerate of a number of minerals
Stilbite, Quartz, Chabazite and something else I have yet to identify ( the small brown crystals)

View attachment 97132

cheers
Dave
Amethyst has a marvellous colour but I like the second one more. It's a bit simpler and gentler (at least appears so on my mobile screen) yet has an interesting structure that could be observed for a long time
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
QuantumQuest said:
I like studying ( mostly science and Astrophysics - Cosmology in particular ), playing chess - I play since 8 y.o. and vacations. I love playing the electric guitar and play since 16 classic guitar. I managed to get a strat beauty back in '96, and a marshall combo after hard work. The last 5 - 6 years I've been much more serious about playing electric guitar, attending a lot of online lessons and playing - I thank America for that too. What inspires me most, is the groovy thing of Hendrix playing - the chords - phrasing alternation, and I follow his masterpieces in detail. I also like rock from 70's - 80's, some hard rock and a little bit of (old) metal.

I find cosmology fascinating, if you can play like Hendrix you are okay in my book:biggrin: why you thank America is beyond me all the best guitar players came from England:rolleyes:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
Psinter said:
That is a really nice interest. :smile:

Out of academia? Besides playing video games, training. I just like how it feels. Been thinking about doing gymnastics (always wanted to try this), but I'm not so sure of a place where I can learn it. Cool historic fact about gymnastics::smile:
i love gaming too
an also rugby is fun and so is polo/riding however sailing defiantly takes the top spot
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
wolram said:
if you can play like Hendrix you are okay in my book:biggrin:

I wish I could - even very near to his playing, but it's really difficult; anyway I try my best and I go fine.

wolram said:
why you thank America is beyond me all the best guitar players came from England:rolleyes:

I thank America, for the very good online lessons, that have helped me a lot and it's not only music it's education, too. While England has a long history of great bands and guitar players and I like it too, many great guitar players are Americans.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
wolram said:
I find cosmology fascinating, if you can play like Hendrix you are okay in my book:biggrin: why you thank America is beyond me all the best guitar players came from England:rolleyes:
Rule Britannia
 
phinds said:
Several hobbies, but one that takes a lot of my time is the creation/maintenance of an enormous educational website for information about wood:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
phinds, whatever made you decide to create a website on wood? :-p

Not many people may find it interesting, but I really like making digital art. Really, really love it. I also like to sew and hike. Webcomics are good, too.
Sophia said:
What cartoons and comics do you guys like?
Cartoons: the original Adventures of Tintin
Webcomics: The Gentleman's Armchair and the Pigeon Gazette.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kjdfhgd
ProfuselyQuarky said:
phinds, whatever made you decide to create a website on wood? :-p
.
Why do some people collect matchbook covers? I'm a woodworker. I work with exotics and am interested in them.

bowls.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky, Sophia and QuantumQuest
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Not many people may find it interesting...
Well, I wouldn't say that, exactly. My site gets 15,000 unique visitors per month.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, jtbell, collinsmark and 1 other person
phinds said:
Why do some people collect matchbook covers? I'm a woodworker. I work with exotics and am interested in them.
You're a woodworker? How cool! I guess a website about wood makes sense now. Did you make those bowls?? :wideeyed:
phinds said:
Well, I wouldn't say that, exactly. My site gets 15,000 unique visitors per month.
I wasn't talking about your website. I was talking about my art :sorry:

15,000 is an impressive number. I'll show my father so maybe you'll get 15,001 :smile:
 
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Did you make those bowls?? :wideeyed:
Well, yeah. It would have been pretty silly to post pictures of someone ELSE's bowls :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky