What hobbies and interests do you have outside academia?

  • Thread starter Thread starter beamie564
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Members
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
144 replies · 22K views
phinds said:
Well, I wouldn't say that, exactly. My site gets 15,000 unique visitors per month.

Can i have one of your bowls gratis:biggrin: i will pay the postage.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland and ProfuselyQuarky
Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Can i have one of your bowls gratis:biggrin: i will pay the postage.
I second that request
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
wolram said:
Can i have one of your bowls gratis:biggrin: i will pay the postage.
Sure. The postage, depending on which one you pick, will be between $75 and $200.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, ProfuselyQuarky and James Holland
phinds said:
Sure. The postage, depending on which one you pick, will be between $75 and $200.
what if it was shipping?
 
Last edited:
James Holland said:
what is it was shipping?
I don't understand the question. Have you been following the last few posts?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
yes i was wondering how much it would cost to ship one of your bowls over seas. preferably to the U.K
 
James Holland said:
yes i was wondering how much it would cost to ship one of your bowls over seas. preferably to the U.K
I've shipped several to the UK. I don't remember the price but I do remember it was quite expensive. Something on the order of $60 and the cost of postage from the US went up quite a bit recently.

Please do not continue any discussion of buying my bowls in the forum. If you are interested, go to my bowl site and work from there:

http://www.phinds.com/bowls/
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
phinds said:
I've shipped several to the UK. I don't remember the price but I do remember it was quite expensive. Something on the order of $60 and the cost of postage from the US went up quite a bit recently.

Please do not continue any discussion of buying my bowls in the forum. If you are interested, go to my bowl site and work from there:

http://www.phinds.com/bowls/
ok
 
When my back isn't bothering me I like to do strongman competitions.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland and ProfuselyQuarky
OrangeDog said:
When my back isn't bothering me I like to do strongman competitions.
When my back isn't bothering me, I think about watching a strongman competition but it occurs to me how strenuous it would be and I go read a good book instead :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kjdfhgd, James Holland and wolram
Nobody else likes to draw :frown:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Nobody else likes to draw :frown:
i like to draw. however when i do it is an abomination to the eyes of all who behold it
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kjdfhgd, Sophia and ProfuselyQuarky
James Holland said:
i like to draw. however when i do it is an abomination to the eyes of all who behold it
At least you find pleasure in making that abomination :woot: You've made my day . . . what do you sketch?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
I only drew one building ever. Now that was an abomination. I'm much more suited to doodle people, I think.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/ae72f9df3c6c2adc60941765de4077f7/tumblr_o0xze29eUP1v57x4so1_1280.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: physics user1, Dembadon, Sophia and 2 others
that is without doubt astronomically better than the ones i draw
if that is an abomination then what is a master piece?
 
ProfuselyQuarky said:
I only drew one building ever. Now that was an abomination. I'm much more suited to doodle people, I think.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/ae72f9df3c6c2adc60941765de4077f7/tumblr_o0xze29eUP1v57x4so1_1280.png
I find your picture very appealing, some thing like a run down bordello:biggrin:.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
James Holland said:
that is without doubt astronomically better than the ones i draw
if that is an abomination then what is a master piece?
A very subjective question, but I've always liked this picture
hda259-frpub-re-co.jpg


We can all imagine that that one of phind's bowls is inside dining room :biggrin:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia, collinsmark and James Holland
ProfuselyQuarky said:
I only drew one building ever. Now that was an abomination. I'm much more suited to doodle people, I think.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/ae72f9df3c6c2adc60941765de4077f7/tumblr_o0xze29eUP1v57x4so1_1280.png

That is a wonderful picture. I enjoy drawing too, but it is usually satire and sometimes distasteful for a place like PF. Just recently I drew a picture of my friend and I fighting off giant roaches in the basement of our workplace. He had dual Uzi's and I had a flamethrower. These were big roaches.

phinds said:
When my back isn't bothering me, I think about watching a strongman competition but it occurs to me how strenuous it would be and I go read a good book instead :smile:

Oh tell me about it. It can be really tough watching people lift weights and do work. You better get yourself a glass of lemonade too so you don't get dehydrated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
wolram said:
I find your picture very appealing, some thing like a run down bordello:biggrin:.
:eek:

I was kind of picturing a bed and breakfast, but oh well :smile:
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
OrangeDog said:
. Just recently I drew a picture of my friend and I fighting off giant roaches in the basement of our workplace. He had dual Uzi's and I had a flamethrower. These were big roaches.
that most definitely reminds me of fallout
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
ProfuselyQuarky said:
:eek:

I was kind of picturing a bed and breakfast, but oh well

Sorry of course it is a run down bed and breakfast, it was just my quirky imagination run riot:biggrin:
Are you going to show us more of your etchings?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland and ProfuselyQuarky
OrangeDog said:
Just recently I drew a picture of my friend and I fighting off giant roaches in the basement of our workplace. He had dual Uzi's and I had a flamethrower. These were big roaches.
That sounds so weird, it's beautiful :-p
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
James Holland said:
that most definitely reminds me of fallout

These roaches were meaner and dirtier. It was in regards to a comment our boss made about how grimy our new building has become. We imagined walking downstairs to get some paperwork and being mauled to death by giant insects and other creatures.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky and James Holland
OrangeDog said:
These roaches were meaner and dirtier. It was in regards to a comment our boss made about how grimy our new building has become. We imagined walking downstairs to get some paperwork and being mauled to death by giant insects and other creatures.
well it inspired me to make a fallout thread.
must be hard to draw well. sounds epic though
 
wolram said:
Sorry of course it is a run down bed and breakfast, it was just my quirky imagination run riot:biggrin:
Are you going to show us more of your etchings?
i didnt get your first comment but now i see
 
wolram said:
Are you going to show us more of your etchings?
You can see them for yourself :smile:

Phind's website is more impressive, but what can I say? I'm a student who lacks knowledge in a lot of things . . .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
I to have an unorthodox fascination with fire, i like to refer to it as pyromania
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kjdfhgd and ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Phind's website is more impressive, but what can I say? I'm a student who lacks knowledge in a lot of things
that makes two of us
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky