What hobbies and interests do you have outside academia?

  • Thread starter Thread starter beamie564
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Members
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
144 replies · 22K views
ProfuselyQuarky said:
You can see them for yourself :smile:
http://kurlioart.tumblr.com
Phind's website is more impressive, but what can I say? I'm a student who lacks knowledge in a lot of things . . .

I think this one is the best http://t.umblr.com/redirect?z=http%3A%2F%2Fgreatinspire.com%2F25-beautiful-pencil-drawing%2F&t=OTQ1NGM2N2YwZDIwZjNlZGM1MWEyZTA0M2E2OGIwNjUzMDYwOWVkZiw5VkJQWFhUUQ%3D%3D your hair looks good to me, i also like the TinTin one.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
Physics news on Phys.org
James Holland said:
well it inspired me to make a fallout thread.
must be hard to draw well. sounds epic though

Who said anything about it being any good! I couldn't sleep one night so I drew it in about 30 minutes.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland and ProfuselyQuarky
James Holland said:
I to have an unorthodox fascination with fire, i like to refer to it as pyromania
I hope that doesn't lead you into any legal troubles in the future :biggrin:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
@zoobyshoe is known for some amazing artwork. I'll leave it to him whether he wants to share or not. Either way, it's really good though.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto
James Holland said:
I to have an unorthodox fascination with fire, i like to refer to it as pyromania
I'm a social pyromaniac. I build big fires in a fire pit instead of burning down the neighbors houses. When I was young and we were in North Carolina, sometime in the 50's when there were small-business tobacco barns everywhere, one of the bigger ones caught fire. A big wooden tobacco barn full of dry tobacco, all burning, is a sight to behold. I decided right then and there that I was going to be a pyromaniac, but the thought of going to jail keeps me contained :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland, wolram and ProfuselyQuarky
collinsmark said:
@zoobyshoe is known for some amazing artwork. I'll leave it to him whether he wants to share or not. Either way, it's really good though.
I hope he does!
 
One hobby i used to have was metal detecting, a good hobby if you like the outdoors and identifying bits of metal, my best find was a gold ring, i sold it for £300 but metal detecting is not all about money it is about history, many of my finds went to a museum.
One time i found a patch in a field that produced a lot of mixed foreign coins of all ages which had me baffled, only later did i realize the field was at the back of a church and the coins were what the vicar had thrown out from the collection tray.
Another time i had a good signal from my detector, so i dug a hole without success so i dug deeper and deeper for over an hour only to find a spade.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland, collinsmark and ProfuselyQuarky
phinds said:
I'm a social pyromaniac. I build big fires in a fire pit instead of burning down the neighbors houses. When I was young and we were in North Carolina, sometime in the 50's when there were small-business tobacco barns everywhere, one of the bigger ones caught fire. A big wooden tobacco barn full of dry tobacco, all burning, is a sight to behold. I decided right then and there that I was going to be a pyromaniac, but the thought of going to jail keeps me contained :smile:

You should have been brave and run into save the tobacco:nb)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland and ProfuselyQuarky
wolram said:
One hobby i used to have was metal detecting, a good hobby if you like the outdoors and identifying bits of metal, my best find was a gold ring, i sold it for £300 but metal detecting is not all about money it is about history, many of my finds went to a museum.
One time i found a patch in a field that produced a lot of mixed foreign coins of all ages which had me baffled, only later did i realize the field was at the back of a church and the coins were what the vicar had thrown out from the collection tray.
Another time i had a good signal from my detector, so i dug a hole without success so i dug deeper and deeper for over an hour only to find a spade.
I always thought that metal detecting was a distinguished hobby--and it inevitably gives the individual a lot of stories to tell. Wolram, now I want a metal detector!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
ProfuselyQuarky said:
I always thought that metal detecting was a distinguished hobby--and it inevitably gives the individual a lot of stories to tell. Wolram, now I want a metal detector!

The big problem with metal detecting is getting permission from the land owners and finding a good site, you have to find a place where there has been a lot of use.
one field i searched came up with loads of molten lead and musket balls and one silver penny that dated the site to the civil war.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
wolram said:
One hobby i used to have was metal detecting, [...]
There's a British show called, Detectorists (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detectorists). It's streaming on Netflix if you are in the USA; not sure about other countries. It's worth the watch. The series is very endearing.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: wolram
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, dlgoff, Pepper Mint and 2 others
phinds said:
I'm a social pyromaniac. I build big fires in a fire pit instead of burning down the neighbors houses. When I was young and we were in North Carolina, sometime in the 50's when there were small-business tobacco barns everywhere, one of the bigger ones caught fire. A big wooden tobacco barn full of dry tobacco, all burning, is a sight to behold. I decided right then and there that I was going to be a pyromaniac, but the thought of going to jail keeps me contained :smile:
what is really fun to burn is a balloon filled with hydrogen
and better still 2 part H 1 part O in a balloon (i don't know why that doesn't make water but it dose make a big bang)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
i want a metal detector too
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:
A very subjective question, but I've always liked this picture
hda259-frpub-re-co.jpg


We can all imagine that that one of phind's bowls is inside dining room :biggrin:
This one is more elaborate but I feel that your picture comes "from the heart" and was drawn for pleasure (which I think is more important), while this one seems more like a result of hard work.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky and James Holland
Sophia said:
This one is more elaborate but I feel that your picture comes "from the heart" and was drawn for pleasure (which I think is more important), while this one seems more like a result of hard work.
hard work can be fun
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Dembadon, ProfuselyQuarky and Sophia
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Gosh, you're phenomenal! Please tell me you do this for a living.
Thank you!
No, it's just a (serious) hobby.
 
zoobyshoe said:
Thank you!
No, it's just a (serious) hobby.

I just had a quick look and a couple of likes on the later ones

truly stunning art, zoob, my hat off to you :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
James Holland said:
what is really fun to burn is a balloon filled with hydrogen

Like this one? :oldwink:

631px-Hindenburg_burning.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kjdfhgd, Hoophy, James Holland and 1 other person
davenn said:
I just had a quick look ...
Did you see this one Dave? I think it's awesome.
y.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi17.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fb95%2Fmrzshoe%2FSmokeAndMirrors700pixels.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky, James Holland, Sophia and 1 other person
zoobyshoe said:
Thank you!
No, it's just a (serious) hobby.
If I make my drawing hobby any more serious than I do, people I know are going start calling me addicted :-p
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
dlgoff said:
Did you see this one Dave? I think it's awesome.

no, must have been a page or 2 back, I didn't go through the whole thread

Zooby ... stunning art !

Dave
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff, ProfuselyQuarky and James Holland
ProfuselyQuarky said:
If I make my drawing hobby any more serious than I do, people I know are going start calling me addicted :-p

A lady i know is trying to get into art professionally, It is a hard task as one has to have a name but getting your art onto the internet is a good start.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky and James Holland
jtbell said:
Like this one? :oldwink:

631px-Hindenburg_burning.jpg
maybe without the people on board and also just a common household balloon opposed to a Zeppelin but essentially yes
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
I like to mountain bike, climb (bouldering), and "work" in our yard. Taking care of the yard is relaxing, while mountain biking and climbing sort-of "reboots" my brain. :biggrin:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland and ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:
I only drew one building ever. Now that was an abomination. I'm much more suited to doodle people, I think.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/ae72f9df3c6c2adc60941765de4077f7/tumblr_o0xze29eUP1v57x4so1_1280.png
I like your drawing.

I'm so artistically inept that if I tried to draw something similar, you wouldn't be sure whether you were looking at a house or a sketch of a giraffe.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
Dembadon said:
I like your drawing.

I'm so artistically inept that if I tried to draw something similar, you wouldn't be sure whether you were looking at a house or a sketch of a giraffe.
sounds similar to my drawing capability
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia
I may not be in Zoob's league when it comes to talent, but I like to write poetry. Here is one of my favorites.

Sheeple


Mindless masses grazing
On the spoon fed pablum of media whores
Regurgitated garbage greedily gulped down by the
Plain vanilla sheeple whose fleece is ignorance
You can hear the sheeple bleating
I have nothing to hide the law I abide
Constant refrain droned and intoned until
The foggy veil of myopia envelops their fragile existence
Jack booted wolves mill among the flock unnoticed
Hungrily eying the unconcerned and the unaware
Herding the multitudes into the land of liberties lost
Like lambs to the slaughter, pass the mint jelly
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hornbein, Sophia and James Holland
Dembadon said:
I like your drawing.

I'm so artistically inept that if I tried to draw something similar, you wouldn't be sure whether you were looking at a house or a sketch of a giraffe.
Thank you :smile: Well, you’re a modern artist, then! There was an art meme going around a while back that said something to the effect of “modern art = I could’ve done that + yeah, but you didn’t”.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Dembadon