What if expansion rate of a universe is the speed of light?

In summary, the concept of a central point as the starting point of the big bang is not accurate as the big bang happened everywhere in the universe at the same time. The present expansion rate of the universe cannot be directly compared to the speed of light, but cosmologists have not yet derived a parameter that could be compared to c at the beginning of the universe. Additionally, the Big Bang is considered as part of the overall universe.
Burtay Mutlu
What If we accept starting point of the big bang as the central point and what If the equatorial expansion rate of a spinning universe was the speed of light, how would it impact universe?
( In this question, you may think yourself as an observer from out of universe. I try to mean with "the central point", the coordinates. Starting point coordinates are according to an outer observer.)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Burtay Mutlu said:
What If we accept starting point of the big bang as the central point

There is no such point. The big bang did not start from one point in a pre-existing space and spread out from there. It happened everywhere in the universe at the same time.

PeterDonis said:
There is no such point. The big bang did not start from one point in a pre-existing space and spread out from there. It happened everywhere in the universe at the same time.

Thank you. :-) Then, You think,our universe is absolutely "the only one" ? There is no multiverses... At first, I thought like that. But a friend confused me...

Burtay Mutlu said:
You think,our universe is absolutely "the only one" ?

What I said has nothing to do with whether or not a "multiverse" theory is true. Multiverse theories are highly speculative, but regardless of whether they're true or not, what I said still applies to the Big Bang that happened in the universe we can see.

Likes Burtay Mutlu
I like this question, but maybe in a different form...

I think the present expansion is described as an increase in velocity per some distance of observed object, like 73.8km/s per Mpc (megaparsec or 3.26 million ly).

This makes comparing the expansion to c kind of apples and oranges... but I'm wondering if cosmologists have come up with some kind of derived attribute of expansion, back near the beginning, that does have some relationship to c... some aspect of the expansion or maybe inflation that had some perameter that might be correctly comparable to c. I wonder what that might be and what physical significance it might have for the point in time when the magnitudes (of whatever they are?) were precisely equal, and when that was.

Anyone know of such a parameter as this?

Likes Burtay Mutlu
bahamagreen said:
Anyone know of such a parameter as this?

No. As you note, the expansion rate of the universe can't be described as a speed; the closest you can get is a ratio of speed to distance. (This is often better thought of as a fractional rate of expansion, i.e., the universe expands by some percentage per unit time.) This is true at any point in the universe's history, early as well as late.

Likes Burtay Mutlu
PeterDonis said:
It happened everywhere in the universe at the same time.
PeterDonis said:
... to the Big Bang that happened in the universe...
(...My bolding...)

The words, "happened in the universe" ... seems to imply that the universe already existed...?

OCR said:
The words, "happened in the universe" ... seems to imply the universe is already present...?

No, it just means that the event we refer to as the "Big Bang" (which, strictly speaking, is not the "initial singularity" that appears in idealized FRW models, but the initial hot, dense, rapidly expanding state of the universe which we know existed, even if we don't yet know what came before it) is part of the spacetime that we call the "universe".

PeterDonis said:
No, it just means that the event we refer to as the "Big Bang"...
That sounds fine by me... :oldcool:

Likes Burtay Mutlu

1. What does it mean for the expansion rate of a universe to be the speed of light?

The expansion rate of a universe refers to the rate at which the universe is expanding. If the expansion rate is the speed of light, it means that the universe is expanding at the maximum possible speed, which is the speed of light.

2. Is the expansion rate of the universe actually the speed of light?

The expansion rate of the universe is currently estimated to be about 73 kilometers per second per megaparsec, which is significantly lower than the speed of light. However, some theories suggest that the expansion rate of the universe may have been the speed of light in the early stages of the universe's development.

3. How does the expansion rate of the universe affect the movement of objects within it?

The expansion rate of the universe does not directly affect the movement of objects within it. However, the expansion of the universe does cause objects to appear to be moving away from each other at a rate proportional to their distance. This is known as Hubble's Law.

4. Can the expansion rate of the universe change?

According to current theories, the expansion rate of the universe is not constant and can change over time. In fact, it is thought that the expansion rate of the universe has been increasing since the Big Bang. However, the exact mechanisms and causes of this change are still being studied and debated by scientists.

5. What would happen if the expansion rate of the universe was faster than the speed of light?

If the expansion rate of the universe was faster than the speed of light, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It would mean that objects farther away from us would appear to be moving away at a speed faster than light, which would challenge the laws of physics as we currently understand them. However, there is currently no evidence to suggest that this is the case.