• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What if eyes were sensitive to infrared?

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
if eyes were sensitive to infrared, what would happen?
the environment would appear brighter/duller
or
we would be able to see farther than normal
or sun would be invisible?

What do you think?

Answers and Replies

we might be able to see through walls, that'd be kind of cool.

ranger
Gold Member
or

What do you think?
If we could see IR, then any body that gives off heat would become apparent to us, even if the body in question emitted no visible light. Variations in temperature would also become noticeable. Therefore we could see how heat energy is distributed about a body.

If we could see IR, then any body that gives off heat would become apparent to us, even if the body in question emitted no visible light. Variations in temperature would also become noticeable. Therefore we could see how heat energy is distributed about a body.
I know that. But what would you chose if you were given only the options mentioned above.

ranger
Gold Member
I know that. But what would you chose if you were given only the options mentioned above.
I fail to understand your response. You're saying that you know the answer but you still asked the question. What options are you talking about?

I fail to understand your response. You're saying that you know the answer but you still asked the question. What options are you talking about?
ah! I know what you told me about IR. The options are :
or

:confused:

ranger
Gold Member
or

:confused:
No those arent options to chose from. Reread your original post.
or

What do you think?
It seems to me like you're asking more than telling. Anywayz its useless to argue about this.

Danger
Gold Member
You can't set the options; nature does that. There would be very specific consequences of having infra-normal vision. Do some more research through whatever channels you have available (I still favour the library).

edit: Hey, Ranger... you sneaked in whilst I was composing. Didn't mean to step on your toes.

No those arent options to chose from. Reread your original post.

It seems to me like you're asking more than telling. Anywayz its useless to argue about this.
Oh! OK!
Well I was asking not telling of course :biggrin:

You can't set the options; nature does that. There would be very specific consequences of having infra-normal vision. Do some more research through whatever channels you have available (I still favour the library).

edit: Hey, Ranger... you sneaked in whilst I was composing. Didn't mean to step on your toes.
Please provide me links where I can read about these! :confused:

Danger
Gold Member
Please provide me links where I can read about these! :confused:
Well... as I said, I favour the library. I'm not good with internet stuff. Frankly, I would say that getting more responses from the experts here in PF would be your best approach. This is as close as you can get to a 'peer-reviewed journal' with amateurs involved. If someone gives you bad advice, someone who knows more will shoot him down. The truth will prevail. Maybe try snooping around the Biology sector, since vision is a biological function. Moonbear can probably help you far more than I can.

Thanks danger!