1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What if eyes were sensitive to infrared?

1. Jan 20, 2007 #1
    if eyes were sensitive to infrared, what would happen?
    the environment would appear brighter/duller
    or
    we would be able to see farther than normal
    or sun would be invisible?

What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2007 #2
    we might be able to see through walls, that'd be kind of cool.

4. Jan 20, 2007 #3

ranger

Gold Member

If we could see IR, then any body that gives off heat would become apparent to us, even if the body in question emitted no visible light. Variations in temperature would also become noticeable. Therefore we could see how heat energy is distributed about a body.

5. Jan 20, 2007 #4
    I know that. But what would you chose if you were given only the options mentioned above.

6. Jan 20, 2007 #5

ranger

Gold Member

I fail to understand your response. You're saying that you know the answer but you still asked the question. What options are you talking about?

7. Jan 20, 2007 #6
    ah! I know what you told me about IR. The options are :
    the environment would appear brighter/duller
    or
    we would be able to see farther than normal
    or sun would be invisible?

:confused:

8. Jan 20, 2007 #7

ranger

Gold Member

No those arent options to chose from. Reread your original post.
    It seems to me like you're asking more than telling. Anywayz its useless to argue about this.

9. Jan 20, 2007 #8

Danger

Gold Member

You can't set the options; nature does that. There would be very specific consequences of having infra-normal vision. Do some more research through whatever channels you have available (I still favour the library).

edit: Hey, Ranger... you sneaked in whilst I was composing. Didn't mean to step on your toes.

10. Jan 20, 2007 #9
    Oh! OK!
    Well I was asking not telling of course :biggrin:

11. Jan 20, 2007 #10
    Please provide me links where I can read about these! :confused:

12. Jan 20, 2007 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Well... as I said, I favour the library. I'm not good with internet stuff. Frankly, I would say that getting more responses from the experts here in PF would be your best approach. This is as close as you can get to a 'peer-reviewed journal' with amateurs involved. If someone gives you bad advice, someone who knows more will shoot him down. The truth will prevail. Maybe try snooping around the Biology sector, since vision is a biological function. Moonbear can probably help you far more than I can.

13. Jan 22, 2007 #12
    Thanks danger!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?