Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What if the Gravitational Constant were larger?

1. Mar 27, 2014 #1
    In our dimensions, it is ~6.67384 × 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2. I recall having read a Hawking article a long time ago in which the ideas of greater or smaller variations of this constant were toyed with, and what they would mean for their respective universes (with other constants unchanged from the current ones, I'm assuming). However I've scoured the internet and haven't found much talk on how such a universe would have developed compared to our own. Would, say, a constant of 6.2 × 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2 alter physics in such a universe significantly from our own? How about something like 3.5 × 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2 or 6.67384 × 10-30 m3 kg-1 s-2? Would conditions for life as we know it still work out, or how would stellar evolution differ from how its current model (or at all)? I'm not necessarily asking you answers to these questions, just if anyone at least knows any literature dealing with the subject. Alternatively, is such a postulation impossible and/or meaningless itfp?

P.S. If this isn't the right place to post this, show me the right board.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    This is highly speculative.

Basically: nobody knows.

Note:
    - gravity is, these days, understood in terms of general relativity.
    The gravitational constant comes from Newtonian gravity.

- the more usual exercise is to ask how well we know what various physical constants are or how close various relations are (i.e. how close to inverse square is gravity?) and how far out they'd have to be for us to notice.

- science is pretty much concerned with this Universe, since this is the one we live in. Speculating about how fine-tuned the various constants have to be to support life is pretty irrelevant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook