What Innovations Are You Thankful For . .?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the various luxuries and innovations of modern life compared to the past, such as email, air conditioning, and food items like Coca-Cola and Five Guys burgers. The participants express gratitude for these advancements and acknowledge the improvements they have brought to daily life. The conversation also delves into the topic of refrigerators, with one person sharing their positive experience with a new model and another discussing potential future modifications. The conversation ends with a mention of the importance of the transistor and the impact it has had on society, as well as a humorous comment about mixing HP Sauce and ice cream.
Morphine (and antibiotics but mostly blessed morphine). We spent a lot of human history without them but we also had doctors who were trained to ignore the screams and leather straps on the operating table (when there was one).

Physics news on Phys.org
Internet banking supported in a phone app: beautiful. Non-automated bills paid in a matter of seconds. Overall I very much like the digitisation of money. I don't like carrying cash at all. Now we don't even have to carry credit/debit cards to pay for stuff in most of the country (not that it's very big).

sysprog said:
My Khmer-American friend uses chopsticks for noodles, but uses a spoon for rice, and I agree with that − also, my Korean-American (female) friend said to my friend to whom she's married, that you should be able to pick up single grains of rice with your chopsticks.
Having spent my college years with brown rice and chopsticks I consider myself relatively accomplished in their use. In my experience the most challenging chopstick item is the ubiquitous 2cm jello cube at the bad Chinese buffet. I think the ability to control said item is proof positive of mastery: I am almost there although my extensive training regimen has been curtailed by the recent COVID-19 unpleasantness. No impaling allowed!

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Keith_McClary and sysprog
@hutchphd ##-## When you succeed, you'll please provide us with a fully-explained force diagram, including frictions, elasticities, angles, distances, etc., so that we can all come to understand how you did it.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
All I know is that the wet ones are the worst. I will provide documentation when appropriate

hutchphd said:
All I know is that the wet ones are the worst.
And the grains of rice in oily sauce.
A Korean parent explained how to teach kids to use chopsticks: start them out with one, then two is easy.

Likes hutchphd
The future is in bioinspired chopstick nanomaterials.
Bioinspired Surface for Surgical Graspers Based on the Strong Wet Friction of Tree Frog Toe Pads

Soft tissue damage is often at risk during the use of a surgical grasper, because of the strong holding force required to prevent slipping of the soft tissue in wet surgical environments. Improvement of wet friction properties at the interface between the surgical grasper and soft tissue can greatly reduce the holding force required and, thus, the soft tissue damage. To design and fabricate a biomimetic microscale surface with strong wet friction, the wet attachment mechanism of tree frog toe pads was investigated by observing their epithelial cell structure and the directionally dependent friction on their toe pads. Using these observations as inspiration, novel surface micropatterns were proposed for the surface of surgical graspers. The wet friction of biomimetic surfaces with various types of polygon pillar patterns involving quadrangular pillars, triangular pillars, rhomboid pillars, and varied hexagonal pillars were tested. The hexagonal pillar pattern exhibited improved wet frictional performance over the modern surgical grasper jaw pattern, which has conventional macroscale teeth. Moreover, the deformation of soft tissue in the bioinspired surgical grasper with a hexagonal pillar pattern is decreased, compared with the conventional surgical grasper.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsami.5b03039

Likes hutchphd
Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 2.56.58 PM.png

Vaccines have probably saved more people than just about anything (other than perhaps improved nutrition and antibiotics).
(Small pox is now extinct in the wild.)

Likes DennisN, collinsmark, cybernetichero and 2 others
And polio and measles could be, if only ...

Likes collinsmark, BillTre and Mondayman
BillTre said:
View attachment 277382

Vaccines have probably saved more people than just about anything (other than perhaps improved nutrition and antibiotics).
(Small pox is now extinct in the wild.)
I recently saw it on a celeb's arm, born '79. I always thought this was a 60's thing.

I am grateful for the ability to enjoy music, movies, documentaries, dramatic series and the odd television show in my home on demand or on my mobile 'phone whenever I care to watch. Progress streaming video even within the last few years appears breathtaking compared to TV in my youth.

Modern people with modest wealth and technology can communicate and connect to information and entertainment in ways that surpass even science fiction circa 1921 (100 years ago).

Likes DennisN
DennisN said:
As a sidenote, I firmly believe gratitude is one of the keys to happiness.
I do too.

I hope this thread keeps going. . .It helps ground my perspective of life. And, I think it is motivating, b/c we can all find ways to better the world we live in.

Likes DennisN
My asthma inhaler. Without which I'd probably have suffocated as a child.

Likes DennisN and cybernetichero
We are using the greatest information retrieval system in the history of mankind to discuss which modern invention we are most grateful for. Just thought I would point that out.

kyphysics said:
I do too.

I hope this thread keeps going. . .It helps ground my perspective of life. And, I think it is motivating, b/c we can all find ways to better the world we live in.

"Gratitude is like an ill fitting shirt that chafes if worn for too long" Confucius.

Not sure I always agree with Confucius, his submission to authority theme bothers me. I prefer Socrates and always asking why. I think Confucius is plugging self sufficiency with this one.

Yes people complain about the rate of change. But the convenient innovations are accepted very quickly, it is even soon found that life without them is forgotten.

E.g. before WW2 an uncle I never saw emigrated from Britain to New Zealand. The remaining contact was mainly maintained by my Grandmother who regularly wrote every week or so - that was a role particularly of grandmothers, and had been for a century. Letters were the only contact. (They were at least very reliable.)

Fast forward to the 1960s, in the UK not everybody had a phone at home, and to install one I think needed a six month wait.But that was advanced compared to some other European countries. I didn't have one at home in France and to call Britain was really an exceptional trip to one of the not many phone offices and was complicated. Rarely done, needed a good reason.In Italy and Spain into the 70s, even 80s to get a phone at home you practically needed political connections or else a friend in the phone corporation's office. Public phones were a very bad joke. Even at work phone calls were restricted and rationed. Our son went to university in a different country from us in the early nineties and could phone us from I think I coin-operated phone in his University hall of residence - there was I think one per floor so if we needed to phone him, imagine how easy that was. But then I saw this new invention of mobile phones being advertised, and got him one by his second year, Got one for myself for some years after, it was still thought of as a fancy luxury, not as common as all that yet.But when they really came in they did so fast, everyone can remember a similar story. Well actually maybe we don't even remember, I'm not even sure I remember right.*

But now we can see our grandson and talk with him seeing each other any day, and frequently. And so we could if he were in New Zealand – quite an improvement from Grandma writing a letter and if she got an answer in a fortnight that would be fast.And today I was meeting up with colleagues of the Association of people retired from my ex-employers: I think a year ago I hadn't heard of Zoom. Without it we wouldn't have had any meeting at all, it has arrived fortunately just ahead of the epidermic.

You could say the above combines two strands of technology: telephony and TV. The majority of people will never have known life without a TV, but actually when I first saw one I was surely one of a handful who ever had in our town. Because at that time TV broadcasts in Britain covered only the London region (one channel only) But Dad was a teacher in the BBC engineering training college, so we were able to see occasionally a set, pre-war manufacture I think, with a cathode ray tube about 4 feet long, vertical, and you saw the screen via a mirror. On the exceptional day when the weather and transmission conditions were favourable. Half a decade or so later the transmissions extended over most of the country, and so we were in a different epoch, and no one could imagine life without TV.

Life would obviously be unlivable without these things. People did live without them, but I guess the condition was to not know about them.*I believe that mobile telephony was one of the few technological things where Europe was ahead of America, at least for time.

russ_watters said:
Just hot water or is the rest of plumbing/sanitation a big issue? Because for me, the fact that I don't have to go outside and squat in a hole is a pretty big quality of life issue.
For me, hot water is much appreciated after a backpack trip of many miles, something I still do regularly even though I am a septuagenarian. I don't mind digging a hole to conduct my business, but it's sure nice to have indoor plumbing at the house.
sysprog said:
like the P-38 can opener − it doesn't by itself open cans, but it's an enabler
I think I still have one of them around here somewhere. However, my Victorinox knife has a can-opener attachment, which came in handy one evening in Argentina when no restaurants were open.

Likes Klystron
Condoms.

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Tom.G and cybernetichero
Keyboards. Writing was the bane of my childhood and my handwriting is still pretty bad, even I can't read some of it. The keyboard has allowed me to spread my wings as far as the written word is concerned. Some years ago I wrote a 600 page SF manuscript, it was BAD and real world science overtook it before I could edit it into something better but I would not have been able to do it without a keyboard. I wish I'd never thrown away my old Imperial manual typewriter (sigh).

Funny story. in about 1982 our school bought 1 (one) Apple computer for the maths department. I had previously done a semester or two of typing (see above) and had muscle memory of hammering the keys on a manual typewriter. I was quickly banned from the computer for fear I would destroy the machine but it didn't have much functionality and was just a tool for teaching the kids BASIC.

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary and BillTre
Mark44 said:
For me, hot water is much appreciated after a backpack trip of many miles, something I still do regularly even though I am a septuagenarian. I don't mind digging a hole to conduct my business, but it's sure nice to have indoor plumbing at the house.
I think I still have one of them around here somewhere. However, my Victorinox knife has a can-opener attachment, which came in handy one evening in Argentina when no restaurants were open.
Mmm ##-## Civilian MREs ##\dots## :wink:

• Haha
Likes BillTre
sysprog said:
Mmm ##-## Civilian MREs ##\dots## :wink:
Never tried an MRE, but have tried all sorts of freeze-dried stuff. Mountain House works for me -- especially the Beef Stroganoff and Chile Mac...

kyphysics said:
I was just sitting back today thinking of how we live compared with people just 100-200 years ago (or, even people living today in less modernized parts of the world). I often complain of not having this or that and the nuisance of getting spam and fake emails. And, yet, something as simple as email (and a computer with word processing) is a truly remarkable luxury that people just 50 years ago did not have. Mail had to be sent by postal delivery. Word processing was done on cumbersome typewriters.

Air conditioning...indoor plumbing...refrigeration...hell, even electricity...are all quite amazing when compared to their absence just a few decades or hundred years ago.

I am thankful for the labor, creativity, and drive to innovate that so many people of the past had that have made my life so much better. . .Life is not perfect - yes, spam and fake emails annoy me - but I am so much more glad to have to deal with the troubles that innovations bring than to live life without them.

OMG, even Coca-Cola...Five Guys burgers...Lays potato chips...I am so thankful for these food innovations too! It would be torture to imagine not having access to my favorite foods ever again!
Electricity would be on the top of my list

Likes Klystron and BillTre
Say what you will about the Roman Empire those guys did all that fighting and digging and building and what have you in SANDALS! A gladius in the guts doesn't bother me but stubbed pinkie toes are no laughing matter. The basic design of the shoe you are wearing is relatively recent and before that shoes were more like moccasins than modern ones with either a thin leather sole or a clunky clog like wooden one and came in one size for all.
I live in safety shoes with a rigid cap over the toes (I don't think it's steel, too light but it'll stop a spade blade in the garden) because of the well constructed soles which let me speed walk everywhere.

Likes Keith_McClary
cybernetichero said:
Say what you will about the Roman Empire those guys did all that fighting and digging and building and what have you in SANDALS!
Romans and other warriors in that time period wore greaves to protect the lower leg in battle, often including pieces or extensions to protect the foot. I forget the Latin name for the 'shoe' piece but it may be related to Dutch 'sabot' or old French 'sabaton'. Sandals were strengthened with various materials to protect the sole and arch against sharpened stakes and inserts or wraps to help protect toes and heels.

Like you, I always wear strong safety shoes at work where crushing injuries are possible.

Consider also New World reinforced sandals such as huaraches. Toes are exposed but somewhat protected from 'stubs' by extending the sole and by the curved pieces over the foot.

Likes cybernetichero
Maybe its already been mentioned, but there is an old saying in that particular business that sewage and wastewater engineering on average do more for general public health than the healthcare system. At least, I think that particular invention is a bit underappreciated by many.

Likes DennisN, Klystron, russ_watters and 1 other person
The pedal-chain-sprocket drive, connected to wheels, has made a human on a bicycle by far the most energy-efficient self-powered traveler among land animals.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, Keith_McClary and BillTre
Filip Larsen said:
Maybe its already been mentioned, but there is an old saying in that particular business that sewage and wastewater engineering on average do more for general public health than the healthcare system. At least, I think that particular invention is a bit underappreciated by many.

I had a doctor say that to me once. If even a medico thinks it's so, against the promptings of professional pride then there must be at least a grain of truth.

sysprog said:
The pedal-chain-sprocket drive, connected to wheels, has made a human on a bicycle by far the most energy-efficient self-powered traveler among land animals.

What would psychotic computers have to sing about, otherwise?

cybernetichero said:
I had a doctor say that to me once. If even a medico thinks it's so, against the promptings of professional pride then there must be at least a grain of truth.

This is not a good operating principle.

Any group of people will have a variety of opinions, brilliant to insipid, on any give subject.
There are also a variety of possible adverse motivations: fame, greed, professional advancement, personal dislike/competition, twisted sense of humor...
Doctors are no different. (Nor are physicists, biologists, chemists, or what ever.)
The are plenty of examples of doctors (or any other group) with poor ideas, for example Andrew Wakefield, whom made up a connection between vaccines and autism, which has had bad results.

Putting your faith in some idea should be based on more than the profession of one of the ideas supporters.
The idea should be able stand on its own, in the cold light of thoughtful analysis.

Likes pinball1970, cybernetichero and fresh_42
BillTre said:
This is not a good operating principle.

Any group of people will have a variety of opinions, brilliant to insipid, on any give subject.
There are also a variety of possible adverse motivations: fame, greed, professional advancement, personal dislike/competition, twisted sense of humor...
Doctors are no different. (Nor are physicists, biologists, chemists, or what ever.)
The are plenty of examples of doctors (or any other group) with poor ideas, for example Andrew Wakefield, whom made up a connection between vaccines and autism, which has had bad results.

Putting your faith in some idea should be based on more than the profession of one of the ideas supporters.
The idea should be able stand on its own, in the cold light of thoughtful analysis.

Well no. That shouldn't be taken to be any sort of appeal to authority. Too many doctors become (bad) MPs. On the other hand it's his job to educate his patients on a healthy lifestyle and it would be foolhardy to go to him and then dismiss what he says out of hand. Otherwise, why bother going to see him. It's a sort of middle ground.
As far as standing on it's own, it's plausible but neither history nor archaeology are exact sciences so our knowledge of the effects of sewers on health is anecdotal or circumstantial.

Last edited:
sysprog said:

You want the visuals at 1.56

cybernetichero said:
neither history nor archaeology are exact sciences
See Rutherford's dictum.

BWV said:
artificial fertilizer
Modern agriculture is a system to convert fossil fuels into food.

Likes cybernetichero