What is a Clock? Syncing Technologies Explained

• B
  • Thread starter Torog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clock
In summary: Water clocksIt is not a red herring. It's an important question. Why do I feel like I'm providing research for a paper?What do they depend on to be stable (lets assume we are not traveling at enormous speeds and we are all in the same gravitational field)?It's important to realize that clocks are not just devices that tell time. They are also devices that are susceptible to fluctuations in their timing due to external forces.Clocks are devices that tell time.The caesium standard is a good example of a clock that is based on a physical property that is relatively stable.Other clocks may rely on different technologies or physical properties that are
PeterDonis said:
@Torog, please moderate your language. You are very close to a warning. @Dale is trying to help you.

Torog said:
What I have been trying to ask is inertia a factor in the stability of clocks?

As both @Dale and @jbriggs444 have responded, the answer is no.

At least I got this about atomic clocks which had previously been excluded by other posts.

Paul Colby said:
The hyperfine interaction is between the magnetic moment of the nucleus, which is a constant, and the electrons in the atom. The transition frequency should be a know function of electron mass.

@Peter thanks for the warning of a warning!