What is a configuration space?

In summary, the configuration space of a given mechanical system is the space of all its possible positions. For example, the configuration space of a double pendulum is the 2-torus, S^1 x S^1, which can be visualized as a circle around the fixed point for the first bob and another circle around the first bob for the second bob. The motion of the system in time can be represented as a continuous path on S^1 x S^1 with its usual topology. The formal definition of configuration space can be found by first defining the phase space, which is a cotangent bundle, and then defining the Hamiltonian to determine the time evolution of the system. Physical intuition and experience are often relied upon to determine
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I keep reading that the configuration space of a given system is the "space of all it's posible positions". Along with this is the inevitable example that the configuration space of a double pendulum is the 2-torus, S^1 x S^1. This makes sense: the possible positions of the first bob is a circle around the "fixed point" , while the possible positions of the second bob is a circle around the first bob. So it is clear how one may identify all the possible positions of the system with the points of S^1 x S^1. Additionally, the motion of the system in time is clearly a continuous path on S^1 x S^1 with the its usual (product) topology.

So as I said, this is all intuitively clear to me. But when I try to find a formal definition of configuration space in order to make the above reasoning rigourous, I fail.

So, does anyone know the formal definition of configuration space?? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
quasar987 said:
I keep reading that the configuration space of a given system is the "space of all it's posible positions". Along with this is the inevitable example that the configuration space of a double pendulum is the 2-torus, S^1 x S^1. This makes sense: the possible positions of the first bob is a circle around the "fixed point" , while the possible positions of the second bob is a circle around the first bob. So it is clear how one may identify all the possible positions of the system with the points of S^1 x S^1. Additionally, the motion of the system in time is clearly a continuous path on S^1 x S^1 with the its usual (product) topology.

So as I said, this is all intuitively clear to me. But when I try to find a formal definition of configuration space in order to make the above reasoning rigourous, I fail.

So, does anyone know the formal definition of configuration space?? Thanks!

I guess the most rigorous way to do mechanics is to define your phase space first, i.e. a cotangent bundle. The base space of this bundle is your configuration space. That defines all the degrees of freedom of your physical system.

After that you need to define the Hamiltonian, in order to define the time evolution of the mechanical system.

Maybe look around here:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/classical/

Torquil

In

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/classical/classical7.pdf

it is said that the configuration space of a rigid body with its center of mass pined down to the origin in R³ is SO(3). How do you make sense of that? Why isn't it S²: take any point in the body other that the COM. Then the position of this point determines the position of the body entirely and this point is free to move on a sphere around the origin, "hence" Q=S².

Thanks for these notes by the way, they look great.

quasar987 said:
In

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/classical/classical7.pdf

it is said that the configuration space of a rigid body with its center of mass pined down to the origin in R³ is SO(3). How do you make sense of that? Why isn't it S²: take any point in the body other that the COM. Then the position of this point determines the position of the body entirely and this point is free to move on a sphere around the origin, "hence" Q=S².

Thanks for these notes by the way, they look great.

Say that you mark a point on a sphere. After you have transported this point to any (phi,theta) solid angle point, the rigid body can still rotate about the axis connecting this point and the origin. So there is one more angular variable in addition to the S2 you mention, thus making up SO(3). SO(3) is by definition all these transformations that move the 2-sphere into inequivalent configurations.

Torquil

Hm, yes, I had overlooked that rotation once the point is in place. Again, this makes perfect sense at an intuitive level...

So... could it be that physicists rely only on their instinct & experience & understanding of mechanics to establish what the proper configuration manifold Q is for a given mechanical system?

Yes, physicists very much use their intuition/experience/understanding to get to the interesting parts (for the physicist!) of the problem quicker. Physicists will usually go on and try to calculate results even if they know that a rigorous mathematical foundation doesn't exist. This is because we can compare with experiment, which is the most important thing for us. The perfect example here is quantum field theory. This is a bit more complicated than classical mechanics and configuration manifolds, though.

Classical mechanics has a very well-defined and mathematically elegant rigorous foundation, so I don't think there are any such problems there. Often, mathematicians have made rigorous definitions of physics afterwards, e.g. for mechanics and also certain simple quantum field theories, but lots of other stuff as well. This is good, because they can discover fundamental problems in the formalism that way.

In the rigid object example I don't think there is much more to prove, since group manifold of SO(3) is by definition all the inequivalent configurations of the sphere. I'm no expert on mechanics, so I don't really know if the definition of the configuration space can be a problem or not in practice. Perhaps some people work with complicated systems where the configuration space is difficult to determine. Myself, I'm only used to simple configuration spaces, e.g. like your SO(3) or R^{3N} for N point particles moving in R^3.

Torquil

Apparently, people interested in stability questions for satellites (ex: will doing such and such to a given satellite will make it spin out of control or will we be able to restore its stability?) work with symplectic geometry to answer their complicated questions. The relevant symplectic manifold here is just the cotangent bundle of the configuration space of the satelite (its phase space, as you said).

This manifold is often 100+ dimensional and very complicated (again, so I read). These guys must have a pretty stressful job, knowing that their misjudging what the proper configuration space for the satellite is might result in losing the satellite as a result of it crashing down on our heads!

1. What is a configuration space?

A configuration space is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to describe the possible positions and orientations of a system of particles or objects. It is a multidimensional space that represents all the possible configurations of a system.

2. How is a configuration space different from physical space?

A configuration space is an abstract mathematical space, while physical space is the physical environment in which objects exist. Configuration space represents all the possible positions and orientations of a system, while physical space represents the actual positions and orientations of objects in the real world.

3. What is the importance of configuration space in physics?

Configuration space is important in physics because it allows us to mathematically describe and analyze the behavior of complex systems. By mapping out all the possible configurations of a system, we can better understand its dynamics and make predictions about its behavior.

4. Can configuration space be visualized?

Yes, configuration space can be visualized, but it is often difficult to do so because it can have a high number of dimensions. In some cases, it may be possible to represent configuration space in a lower-dimensional form, such as a graph or plot, to aid in understanding.

5. How is configuration space used in robotics?

Configuration space plays a crucial role in robotics, as it allows engineers to map out all the possible positions and orientations of a robot's joints and end effectors. This information is then used to plan and control the movement of a robot, making it an essential concept in the field of robotics.