1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses What is a course in math modeling like compared to physics?

1. Apr 20, 2017 #1
    In a mathematical modeling course (intended for applied mathematics majors at my school) you apply math to real life situations. I am a physics major so I know what goes on there, but how is math modeling different?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Is it about modelling with math or models in math?

4. Apr 21, 2017 #3
    For mathematical modeling, you may be asked to model a control system for how the body (healthy or diabetic) regulates blood sugar. An interesting problem but it has little to do with physics. You might be asked to model interactions between various populations with different culture and characteristics competing in a given area. Another interesting problem but it has little to do with physics.

Get the point. There are many applications of mathematics that do not involve physics.

5. Apr 21, 2017 #4
    Obviously. Was just wondering what type a math modeling course covered. You answered and added an extra "Get the point" which is pathetic. But thank you for the first part.

6. Apr 21, 2017 #5

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I remember a post in which a member asked, whether there is a sort of a lexicon where all differential equations used in the various realms were listed. I named a few which came to my mind, many within but even more apart from physics, and soon realized, that such a book would be of multiple volumes.

7. Apr 21, 2017 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Course on Mathematical Modeling? Course just dedicated to how to decide on and make a Mathematical Model???

You have some two-dimensional data points of temperature haze point and concentrations of alcohol corresponding to each. Maybe plotting these points will give a pretty graph. Once the graph is made, the points appear to suggest maybe a degree-two polynomial function. Maybe you would like to find a good approximation for this function.

8. Apr 23, 2017 #7
    Sorry about the "get the point". Reading the post again, I see how I was harsh. I did not mean for it to be interpreted that way. I will be more careful in the future. I apologize.

9. May 16, 2017 #8
  10. May 16, 2017 #9
    The course in the link sounds interesting. It was given in 2009,, a long time ago

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted