Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What is a Direct image and Inverse Image in Real Analysis?

1. Aug 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to understand the definition of Direct and Inverse Images in Real Analysis I from my book, see attachment please.

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      51.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2010 #2
    Please explain how the set of the inverse image of G was found.

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
  4. Aug 28, 2010 #3
    We're looking for all elements in the domain of f that can be mapped into elements of G, i.e., find all x such that f(x) is an element of G. For what values of x in the domain is 0 <= f(x) <= 4?

5. Aug 28, 2010 #4
    Right, but how did they find 0 and 4 so that

0 <= f(x) <= 4

?

6. Aug 28, 2010 #5
    Read the text step-by-step.

We're given E = {0 <= x <= 2}. The image of E is G = {0 <= f(x) <= 4}. Now we are finding the inverse image of G by the steps I described above. The purpose of this exercise is to just give you an example of where [tex] f(f^{-1}(A)) = A [/tex] and an example where [tex] f^{-1}(f(A)) \neq A. [/tex]

7. Aug 28, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The given function was [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] and [itex]E= \{0\le x\le 2\}[/itex].

They got [itex]0\le f(x)\le 4[/itex] by squaring 0 and 2.

But be careful, if it had been [itex]E= \{-2\le x\le 2\}[/itex] We would NOT have the image [itex]\{4\le f(x)\le 4}[/itex]. [itex]-2\le x\le 2[/itex] includes all numbers from -2 to 2 and the squares of those are all between 0 and 2, also the squares of the negatives are also positive, not negative: If [itex]E= \{-2\le x\le 2\}[/itex] we would still have the image as [itex]\{0\le f(x)\le 4\}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2010
  8. Aug 29, 2010 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Correction: all numbers between -2 and 2 (inclusive).

9. Aug 29, 2010 #8

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Thanks for the correction, Mark44. I will now edit so I can claim I never made that mistake!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook