1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a Direct image and Inverse Image in Real Analysis?

1. Aug 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to understand the definition of Direct and Inverse Images in Real Analysis I from my book, see attachment please.

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      51.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2010 #2
    Please explain how the set of the inverse image of G was found.

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
  4. Aug 28, 2010 #3
    We're looking for all elements in the domain of f that can be mapped into elements of G, i.e., find all x such that f(x) is an element of G. For what values of x in the domain is 0 <= f(x) <= 4?

5. Aug 28, 2010 #4
    Right, but how did they find 0 and 4 so that

0 <= f(x) <= 4

?

6. Aug 28, 2010 #5
    Read the text step-by-step.

We're given E = {0 <= x <= 2}. The image of E is G = {0 <= f(x) <= 4}. Now we are finding the inverse image of G by the steps I described above. The purpose of this exercise is to just give you an example of where [tex] f(f^{-1}(A)) = A [/tex] and an example where [tex] f^{-1}(f(A)) \neq A. [/tex]

7. Aug 28, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The given function was [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] and [itex]E= \{0\le x\le 2\}[/itex].

They got [itex]0\le f(x)\le 4[/itex] by squaring 0 and 2.

But be careful, if it had been [itex]E= \{-2\le x\le 2\}[/itex] We would NOT have the image [itex]\{4\le f(x)\le 4}[/itex]. [itex]-2\le x\le 2[/itex] includes all numbers from -2 to 2 and the squares of those are all between 0 and 2, also the squares of the negatives are also positive, not negative: If [itex]E= \{-2\le x\le 2\}[/itex] we would still have the image as [itex]\{0\le f(x)\le 4\}[/itex]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  8. Aug 29, 2010 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Correction: all numbers between -2 and 2 (inclusive).

9. Aug 29, 2010 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Thanks for the correction, Mark44. I will now edit so I can claim I never made that mistake!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook