What is a first order process in particle physics

In summary: For example, the first reaction in the problem states that because the electron lepton number is not conserved, this reaction cannot proceed.
j-lee00
I was given the following question

Which of the reactions on the right are allowed by first-order processes? For those which are not allowed, state one conservation law which is violated.

What is a first order process in particle physics? i.e what does first order refer to? What would be a second order process?

Thanks
Jason

Physics news on Phys.org
Think perturbation theory. A first-order process would be linear in some coupling constant. Equivalently it would involve a single interaction vertex. An nth order process would involve n interaction vertices and would be proportional to n factors of (possibly different) coupling constants.

fzero said:
Think perturbation theory. A first-order process would be linear in some coupling constant. Equivalently it would involve a single interaction vertex. An nth order process would involve n interaction vertices and would be proportional to n factors of (possibly different) coupling constants.

Thanks for you response

I am new to the subject so excuse my ignorance.

So the violation of laws that they are referring to are conservation of lepton no, baryon no, Charge (which are first order?). Where as weak and strong are second order?

j-lee00 said:
Thanks for you response

I am new to the subject so excuse my ignorance.

So the violation of laws that they are referring to are conservation of lepton no, baryon no, Charge (which are first order?). Where as weak and strong are second order?

You seem to be confusing conservation laws with interactions. An interaction will conserve some quantities and possibly violate conservation of other quantities. You might want to post some of the processes that the problem is talking about so that. Also post a process that you understand and explain it so that I can understand what techniques you're meant to be using. I mean are you given an interaction term in a Lagrangian or just some list of allowed processes that you're supposed to compare with the processes in the problem?

I have attached it as a jpeg, the reactions are below in the pic not on the right

Attachments

• first order.JPG
    first order.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 587
Let's consider process ii, [tex] e^- + p \rightarrow \nu_e + n[/tex]. You need to determine the quarks that make up the initial particles and final particles. Do you know what weak interactions of quarks are allowed?Also, I think they may mean something different than I do when they say "first-order." If you can't find anything in your notes, perhaps we can deduce what they mean along the way.

For example the first reaction wrote that due to non conservation of electron lepton number, this reaction cannot procceed?

Thank you, I have to go

fzero said:
Also, I think they may mean something different than I do when they say "first-order." If you can't find anything in your notes, perhaps we can deduce what they mean along the way.

I think they mean tree level interactions.

1. What is a first order process in particle physics?

A first order process in particle physics is a fundamental interaction between particles that occurs through the exchange of a single particle. This means that the interaction only involves one particle as opposed to multiple particles.

2. How does a first order process differ from a higher order process?

A higher order process in particle physics involves the exchange of multiple particles, while a first order process only involves the exchange of a single particle. This makes first order processes simpler and easier to study and understand.

3. What types of particles are involved in first order processes?

The particles involved in first order processes are usually gauge bosons, which are force-carrying particles such as photons, gluons, and W and Z bosons. These particles mediate the interactions between other particles.

4. How are first order processes important in understanding the universe?

First order processes play a crucial role in many phenomena that occur in the universe, such as radioactive decay, nuclear reactions, and the interactions between subatomic particles. By studying these processes, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and building blocks of the universe.

5. Can first order processes be observed in experiments?

Yes, first order processes can be observed and studied in particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). By colliding particles at high energies and analyzing the resulting interactions, scientists can observe and measure the properties of first order processes and their involved particles.