What is a Good Book Gift for a Professor in Astrophysics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter unchained1978
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Book Professor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
unchained1978
Messages
91
Reaction score
0
I'm looking to get one of my professors a book/gift as a thank you, as he's helped me a lot with my undergraduate studies over the past two years. I was thinking about getting him an interesting book, so I was wondering if anyone knew of some good ones (preferably physics/science related). He specializes in gamma ray astronomy and supernovas, and astrophysics in general. I thought about getting him a copy of Newton's Principia, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
unchained1978 said:
I'm looking to get one of my professors a book/gift as a thank you, as he's helped me a lot with my undergraduate studies over the past two years. I was thinking about getting him an interesting book, so I was wondering if anyone knew of some good ones (preferably physics/science related). He specializes in gamma ray astronomy and supernovas, and astrophysics in general. I thought about getting him a copy of Newton's Principia, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Hi there,

that sounds like a super nice thing to do. Not to be rude, but are you committed to buying him a book? Especially one that is in the same field as his doctorate?

I have an idea, I'm not sure you'd be too fond of it. But nowadays they are selling lasers for a pretty reasonable price online. If he's into astronomy maybe he'd like to point out stars or something like that. Besides, lasers are awesome regardless of who you are.
 
unchained1978 said:
I thought about getting him a copy of Newton's Principia, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?
The Principia is a far a better bet than a book on his specialty. He has all the good ones on his specialty on his bookshelf already. There's no professional need for the Principia, but it has huge historical value. If there's a way you can sneak a peek at his bookshelf, see if he already has a copy. If he does you'll have to find something else. If he doesn't, he might well put your copy there, not so much for its technical value but for its sentimental value. And that sentimental value is exactly why you are thinking of this gift.

Lasers are a dime a dozen. He may well have a bunch of those already, too.
 
when i graduated with my phd from Utah in 1977 and moved away, I lightened my load by selling my copy of the principia for 10 cents to a local bookstore. I have always wanted it back. So I think that would be a wonderful gift, but again it relates somewhat to whether he already has it. It is pointless to give him a book in his own specialty as you most likely end up somewhat like bringing a grocery store wine to a wine expert.

But to a scientist, the immortal work of a genius easily trumps an electronic gadget.