What is a good graphing calculator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the different options for a graphic calculator, specifically the HP 50G, TI-89, and Casio 9860G models. The TI-89 and HP 50G are more expensive and complex to use, while the Casio 9860G is a more affordable option that outperforms the TI-83 and is comparable to the TI-89. It is recommended to consider the Casio 9860G for its speed and performance at a lower cost.
thewhills
Something that will take me through AP Calc to the most crazy Physics or Math work that can be done...

I don't use a calculator as a crutch, but I would like something that I can fall back on for common equations or problems. If it simplifies radicals I will be overjoyed.

Computer science news on Phys.org
1. HP 50G :devil:

2. TI-89 :yuck:

3. Casio 9860G :smile:

Go grab yourself the Casio model its so much cheaper than TI and HP brands. The above two are twice expensive, yet more complex to use for beginneers.

http://edu.casio.com/products/graphic/fx9860g/"

Last edited by a moderator:
What i I am asking is ... Ok I need a graphic calculator
Is it worth it to shell out the $$$ for TI-89 now to future proof or get a TI-83 and buy a TI-89 if I need one...

thewhills said:
What i I am asking is ... Ok I need a graphic calculator
Is it worth it to shell out the $$$ for TI-89 now to future proof or get a TI-83 and buy a TI-89 if I need one...

TI-89 not worth the extra $$$...

TI-83 overpriced, old and too slow.

Casio vs TI Graphing Calculator Comparison:
http://www.casioeducation.com/resource/pdfs/comparison/graphing_2005_comparison.pdf

Try looking into this comparison chart as you can see the Casio 9860G outperforms the TI-83 in every category, and almost neck to neck when compared to the TI-89. If you wanted the Speed and the Performances of the TI-89 but with the price tag less than the TI-83 then go with the Casio model. It has a 15 MHZ CPU just like the TI-89 so you know you're getting a powerful Graphing Calculator here. :rolleyes:

Casio FX-9860G video:

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a good graphing calculator?

A good graphing calculator is a tool used in mathematics and science courses to plot and analyze mathematical functions. It typically has a large display screen, a keyboard, and advanced mathematical capabilities.

What features should I look for in a good graphing calculator?

Some important features to consider when looking for a good graphing calculator include a large display screen, a high-resolution color display, a large amount of memory, and advanced mathematical functions such as calculus and statistics.

What is the difference between a graphing calculator and a regular calculator?

A graphing calculator is specifically designed for plotting and analyzing mathematical functions, while a regular calculator is designed for basic arithmetic operations. A graphing calculator typically has more advanced features and capabilities, such as the ability to graph multiple functions and store data.

What brands of graphing calculators are considered the best?

Some of the most popular and highly rated brands of graphing calculators include Texas Instruments, Casio, and HP. Each of these brands offers a variety of options with different features and price points.

Are graphing calculators allowed on standardized tests?

In most cases, graphing calculators are permitted on standardized tests such as the SAT and ACT. However, it is important to check the specific guidelines for each test as some restrictions may apply.