Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automotive What is a good linear actuator that has force feedback?

1. May 26, 2016 #1
    Where can I find one of these? That is, are there linear actuators where I can specify the force it should apply and it gives me back exactly how much force was applied? Are there any linear actuators that can do this and also give me position feedback, i.e., where my object is after it has been pushed? Why are these unpopular, when force feedback seems like such an obvious requirement? I want to be able to specifically control the force that my actuator applies to my object.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2016 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It will depend on your precision and accuracy requirements for the force measurement, typically this would achieved with a force transducer mounted to the linear actuator. In some cases (like with a DC servo motor) the electrical power & torque applied to the motor can be related to the force applied, but it will be confounded by the friction and backlash within the stage.

4. May 26, 2016 #3
    Maybe be more specific with your requirements of what you are trying to do. It certainly can be done. You are really looking for a controller that has dual feedback options. You are just looking for something specialty or custom is all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted