1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a method to find the fundamental frequency of a pipe

1. Apr 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How can i find the fundamental frequency of a closed piep (measuring cylinder) experimentally/ physicaly. I have done the maths and found the frequency but i want another way to prove this other than simply playing the calculated frequency back at the measuring cylinder. I have heard of a method called overblowing or Helmholtz frequency and using a program named Audacity to find it but after further research, i think Helmholzt frequency can only be used on bottles where there is a "neck" or part with a smaller diameter at the top. Can i use Helholzt frquency/ overblowing?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have already mathematically found the fundamental frequency

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2016 #2
    we used to do an experiment called resonance tube and finding the wavelength of sound waves by resonating the air column in atube -the tube length could be varied by a water head and level of water in the tube.
    a tuning fork of known frequency would be brought vibrating above the air column and if the length matched the stationary wave formation a resonating sound will be heared the first resonance would be at lambda/4 and then its multiples.
    i think a variation of this experiment can determine the frequency of a tube closed at one end.

4. Apr 25, 2016 #3
    Neck not required. For instance a spent .22 caliber shell casing makes an annoyingly piercing whistle when overblown; it does take a fair amount of lung power to accomplish though. It is even possible to excite an empty beer err soda bottle at double frequency, though again you do have to work at it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted