What is a method to find the fundamental frequency of a pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for experimentally determining the fundamental frequency of a closed pipe, including using resonance tubes and overblowing techniques. It is mentioned that a program called Audacity can be used to find the Helmholtz frequency, but this method may only work for bottles with a smaller diameter at the top. The conversation also mentions that a variation of the resonance tube experiment can be used to determine the frequency of a tube closed at one end, without requiring a neck.
Zoro

Homework Statement

How can i find the fundamental frequency of a closed piep (measuring cylinder) experimentally/ physicaly. I have done the maths and found the frequency but i want another way to prove this other than simply playing the calculated frequency back at the measuring cylinder. I have heard of a method called overblowing or Helmholtz frequency and using a program named Audacity to find it but after further research, i think Helmholzt frequency can only be used on bottles where there is a "neck" or part with a smaller diameter at the top. Can i use Helholzt frquency/ overblowing?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already mathematically found the fundamental frequency

Physics news on Phys.org
Zoro said:
How can i find the fundamental frequency of a closed piep (measuring cylinder) experimentally/ physicaly. I have done the maths and found the frequency but i want another way to prove this other than simply playing the calculated frequency back at the measuring cylinder. I have heard of a method called overblowing or Helmholtz frequency and using a program named Audacity to find it but after further research, i think Helmholzt frequency can only be used on bottles where there is a "neck" or part with a smaller diameter at the top. Can i use Helholzt frquency/ overblowing?

we used to do an experiment called resonance tube and finding the wavelength of sound waves by resonating the air column in atube -the tube length could be varied by a water head and level of water in the tube.
a tuning fork of known frequency would be brought vibrating above the air column and if the length matched the stationary wave formation a resonating sound will be heared the first resonance would be at lambda/4 and then its multiples.
i think a variation of this experiment can determine the frequency of a tube closed at one end.

Neck not required. For instance a spent .22 caliber shell casing makes an annoyingly piercing whistle when overblown; it does take a fair amount of lung power to accomplish though. It is even possible to excite an empty beer err soda bottle at double frequency, though again you do have to work at it.

1. What is the fundamental frequency of a pipe?

The fundamental frequency of a pipe is the lowest frequency at which the pipe can resonate or vibrate.

2. How is the fundamental frequency of a pipe determined?

The fundamental frequency of a pipe can be determined by measuring the length of the pipe and using the equation f = v/2L, where f is the fundamental frequency, v is the speed of sound, and L is the length of the pipe.

3. Can the fundamental frequency of a pipe be changed?

Yes, the fundamental frequency of a pipe can be changed by altering the length, shape, or material of the pipe. This can be achieved by adjusting the position of a movable end, adding or removing material, or changing the shape of the pipe.

4. What is the relationship between the fundamental frequency and the harmonics of a pipe?

The fundamental frequency is the first harmonic of a pipe. The harmonics of a pipe are whole number multiples of the fundamental frequency. For example, the second harmonic would be twice the fundamental frequency, the third harmonic would be three times the fundamental frequency, and so on.

5. Are there any other methods to find the fundamental frequency of a pipe?

Yes, there are other methods to find the fundamental frequency of a pipe. One method is to use a tuning fork that emits a known frequency and hold it near the pipe to see if the pipe resonates. Another method is to use a microphone and a frequency analyzer to detect the fundamental frequency of the pipe. However, the most accurate method is to use the equation f = v/2L.