What is Absolute Pressure and How is it Related to Gauge Pressure in a Pool?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
NP04
Messages
23
Reaction score
1
Homework Statement
You are originally 2.0m below the surface of a pool.

If you swim to 4.0m below the surface, what will happen to the absolute pressure on you?

a) Absolute Pressure Quadruples
b) Absolute Pressure More than doubles
c) Absolute Pressure exactly doubles
d) Absolute Pressure less than doubles
Relevant Equations
P gauge = ρgh
P total = P atm + P gauge
I think I can eliminate A because the equations depict a linear relationship. Since the gauge pressure is in a linear relationship with the absolute pressure, I would say exactly 2, but the answer is d.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How would you define absolute pressure? (In your own words.)