What Is Air Equilibrated Water? - ISO Standard Review

• Thread starter Ledger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Water
In summary, "air equilibrated water" refers to water that has been left standing open and has reached equilibrium with the air around it. Researchers have constructed an elaborate system to produce this type of water at various temperatures and salinities.
Ledger
I was reviewing an ISO standard and a reference was made to "air equilibrated water."

Anyone know what it is? I'm guessing it's water left standing open that comes into equilibrium with the air around it, but I don't really know.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ledger said:
I was reviewing an ISO standard and a reference was made to "air equilibrated water."

Anyone know what it is? I'm guessing it's water left standing open that comes into equilibrium with the air around it, but I don't really know.
I believe you guessed correctly. My curiosity piqued, I inquired of google. In this reference, researchers construct an elaborate system to produce it to order at various temperatures and salinities. http://faculty.washington.edu/emerson/links/Papers/HammeEmerson_DSR04.pdf

Wow. Elaborate system it was!

Thanks as I came up with nothing with my internet search.

Related to What Is Air Equilibrated Water? - ISO Standard Review

1. What is air equilibrated water?

Air equilibrated water is water that has been in contact with air at atmospheric pressure and temperature for a sufficient amount of time to establish equilibrium with the surrounding air. This means that the dissolved gases in the water are in balance with the gases in the air.

2. Why is air equilibrated water important?

Air equilibrated water is important because it is used as a standard for measuring the concentration of dissolved gases in water. It is also used in various scientific experiments and tests, as well as in industrial processes.

3. What is the ISO standard for air equilibrated water?

The ISO standard for air equilibrated water is ISO 5814:2010, which specifies the requirements for the preparation of air equilibrated water for use in water quality measurements.

4. How is air equilibrated water prepared?

Air equilibrated water is prepared by exposing the water to air for a specific amount of time, typically 24 hours. The water is usually stirred or agitated to increase the surface area exposed to air and to promote the exchange of gases. The temperature and pressure of the air and water are also controlled to ensure equilibrium is reached.

5. What are the benefits of using air equilibrated water?

Using air equilibrated water as a standard in measurements and experiments ensures consistency and accuracy in the results. It also allows for comparison of data from different sources, as all samples are prepared using the same standard. Additionally, air equilibrated water is a reliable source of dissolved gases, making it a valuable tool in various industries such as water treatment and environmental monitoring.