What is Applied Sciences in Engineering?

In summary, the individual is considering which engineering discipline to pursue after completing a dual degree in physics and engineering. They were initially interested in electrical engineering, but are now considering civil engineering or a degree in Applied Sciences in Engineering. They are unsure about the job prospects and accreditation of the Applied Sciences degree and are planning to contact the dean for more information. The program at Rutgers University offers concentrations in Packaging Engineering, Engineering Physics, and Biomedical Science.
leonne
Hey,
Im trying to figure out which engineering I should do. I am doing a dual degree in physics and engineering. I am pretty much done with physics. I was going to do electrical engineering, but i don't think its right for me. I am thinking of doing civil engineering, but then i saw a degree in Applied Sciences in Engineering. I only need 30 credits for that vs 55 in civil. What can i do with the Applied Sciences in Engineering degree? Is it useless like a bachelors degree in physics or can i get a decent job with it? This is my 5th year of college so the sooner i finish the better lol
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
it's hard to say without looking at the program, you may want to look at an engineering discipline that will award an ABET accredited (engineering) degree if you are looking to work in industry.

hmm, well this is what it says on the college site
http://www.soe.rutgers.edu/applied_sciences
i guess ill email the dean

Last edited by a moderator:
Taken from the link you just provided: "Possible concentrations include: Packaging Engineering, Engineering Physics, and Biomedical Science". That alone illuminates the type of stuff you could be doing.

o ok thanks,

1. What is the difference between applied sciences and basic sciences in engineering?

Applied sciences in engineering involve the practical application of scientific principles and theories to solve real-world problems in the field of engineering. Basic sciences, on the other hand, focus on understanding fundamental concepts and theories that form the basis of applied sciences. In other words, applied sciences in engineering use the knowledge gained from basic sciences to develop innovative solutions to engineering problems.

2. What are some examples of applied sciences used in engineering?

Examples of applied sciences in engineering include mechanical engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, and computer engineering. These fields apply scientific principles to design, develop, and improve systems, structures, and processes for various applications such as transportation, construction, energy production, and information technology.

3. How does applied sciences in engineering contribute to society?

Applied sciences in engineering play a crucial role in improving our daily lives. Engineers use their knowledge and skills to design and develop solutions to important societal problems, such as developing sustainable energy sources, creating efficient transportation systems, and improving infrastructure. Applied sciences in engineering also contribute to economic growth by driving innovation and creating job opportunities.

4. What skills are required to pursue a career in applied sciences in engineering?

To excel in applied sciences in engineering, one needs to have a strong understanding of mathematics, physics, and other basic sciences. Problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills are also essential in this field. Good communication and teamwork skills are also necessary as engineers often work in multidisciplinary teams to solve complex problems.

5. How is research conducted in applied sciences within the field of engineering?

Research in applied sciences in engineering involves using scientific methods and techniques to investigate and develop solutions to engineering problems. This can include conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and developing computer simulations. The research findings are then used to inform the design and development of new technologies and processes in engineering.