What is atrioventricular septum?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello everyone,

Wiki: The atrioventricular septum is a septum of the heart between the right atrium (RA) and the left ventricle (LV).

I can't identify this in pics. I have not heard of a connection between right atrium ad left ventricle. Is this some embryological structure or can you see it in normal heart. Are tricupsid and mitral regions also called atrioventriclar regions? Can anyone provide me a clear pic. Thanks :smile:

Answers and Replies

Hello everyone,

Wiki: The atrioventricular septum is a septum of the heart between the right atrium (RA) and the left ventricle (LV).

I can't identify this in pics. I have not heard of a connection between right atrium ad left ventricle. Is this some embryological structure or can you see it in normal heart. Are tricupsid and mitral regions also called atrioventriclar regions? Can anyone provide me a clear pic. Thanks :smile:
It's heard to see on diagrams because of the apparent overlapping of the pulmonary artery and aortic root. There is small area of the atrio-ventricular septum to the left of the tricuspid valve where the right atrium is a "above" (actually more anterior to) the left ventricle but it really can't be seen in 2D except with specific cuts.

The tricuspid valve prevents backflow from the right ventricle into the right atrium while the mitral valve prevents backflow from the left ventrical into the left atrium in systole. The regions are relevant atrioventricular septa.

http://www.cardioconsult.com/Anatomy/

It's heard to see on diagrams because of the apparent overlapping of the pulmonary artery and aortic root. There is small area of the atrio-ventricular septum to the left of the tricuspid valve where the right atrium is a "above" (actually more anterior to) the left ventricle but it really can't be seen in 2D except with specific cuts.

The tricuspid valve prevents backflow from the right ventricle into the right atrium while the mitral valve prevents backflow from the left ventrical into the left atrium in systole. The regions are relevant atrioventricular septa.

http://www.cardioconsult.com/Anatomy/