1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is being Done in This proof of Limits?

1. Jul 11, 2013 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You have a previous thread asking the same thing. Was that thread helpful? Did you understand everything there?

If so, can you start by explaining what you think they're doing? And can you explain what you don't get??

4. Jul 11, 2013 #3
    This is another proof

5. Jul 11, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It is very similar. So please, tell us what you think first.

6. Jul 11, 2013 #5
    eq0106MP.gif In this part they arrive to the conclusion that Delta have to be < ε/10.

in the next step they arrive to the same conclusion. If δ <1 then δ<10. ( I may be wrong)

The next step is what become problematic for me to understand.

7. Jul 11, 2013 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This problem is qualitatively different from the other one. In the earlier problem, the function was linear. Here the function is a quadratic.

In the second line, which is what I believe you're asking about, they make the assumption that ##\delta < 1##. Then if ##|x - 4 | < \delta < 1##, they can say that x will be between 3 and 5. Note that I'm ignoring the part where it says 0 < |x - 4|. All this does is eliminate the possibility of x being equal to 4.

Since 3 < x < 5, the largest that |x + 5| can be is 10. From this, they can write
    ## |x + 5||x - 4| < 10|x - 4|##
    If we take ##\delta = \epsilon/10##, then when ##|x - 4| < \delta##, it will follow that
    ##|x + 5||x - 4| < 10|x - 4| < 10 * \delta < 10 * \epsilon/10 = \epsilon ##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted