1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying What is better, Astrophysics or Cosmology?

1. May 6, 2017 #1
    Even though Cosmology and astrophysics are pretty much the same thing, still there are some differences. Cosmology is like more mathematical, more theoretical. If you are a cosmologist you can apply ideas from String Theory or so. But if Astrophysics is more "experimental". I mean, obviously there is Theoretical Astrophysics, but, to say something, there is too theoretical biology (and I think biology is 80% observational/experimental).

What do you guys think is better?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Which is better, broccoli or purple?

And I don't think you have the difference correct. Cosmology studies the universe as a whole, and astrophysics studies the physics of objects in space.

4. May 6, 2017 #3
    Do you enjoy the big picture or the little details?

5. May 6, 2017 #4

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A typical question that an astrophysicist may be interested in would be the diffusion of photons from the interior of a star to its surface, or the mechanisms of heavy element formation in supernovae. A cosmologist is more likely to study things that happen at an extremely large scale, e.g. models of universe that are not isotropic after all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted