Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is 'completeness' (function space)

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    given a set of functions that depend on a parameter lambda [tex] f(\lambda x) [/tex] , how can be proved or what does it mean that this set of functions is COMPLETE in [tex] L^{p} (a,b) [/tex] do the functions [tex] f(\lambda x) [/tex] need to form an orthogonal basis or it is enough that for diffrent values of lambda ,there is a linear independence.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2
    I'm not sure about sets which are not orthogonal, but I think that completness generally says that there is no other non-trivial vector which is linearly independent of the set vectors.

4. Jan 19, 2010 #3

Landau

Science Advisor

In this context, completeness usually means 'maximal spanning', i.e. every other element of L^p(a,b) should be expressible as (not necessarily finite) linear combination of these 'functions'. It is an extension of the concept of 'basis' from finite-dimensional linear algebra to infinite dimensions. The orthogonal (or even orthonormal) requirement usually is explicitly added, as in "complete orthonormal set".

See e.g. here.

5. Jan 21, 2010 #4
    Picky aside: orthogonality isn't well-defined when p != 2.

6. Jan 21, 2010 #5
    The L^p(a,b) is a metric space. The space of functions is complete if each Cauchy sequence converges in the L^p metric to another function in the space.

7. Jan 22, 2010 #6

Landau

Science Advisor

@wofsy: that's a different type of completeness; here we're talking about completeness of a set of vectors in L^p, not of the (metric) space L^p itself!
    See the link in my previous post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook