1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is considered a small velocity?

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An elevator is being pulled upwards with an small inital velocity. The elevator cable has a constant tension. After 250 seconds it stops with a gravitational energy of 2400J. Assume the acceleration due to gravity is 10. What is the mass of the elevator?

2. Relevant equations

PE=mgh

3. The attempt at a solution

Assume what v is then see how high it is then plug in to find m.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, when a problem says that something is traveling at a small velocity, but does not state what velocity to use, what should we take it as.

This is actually what I don't like about physics. In math if I am given an integral to solve I don't assume anything, I just do it.

I remember in thermodynamics, there was this one problem about a turbine and I tried very very hard to solve it without looking at the solutions manual. Then finally I gave up and looked at the manual and guess what. There was like 3 different assumptions you had to make an order to solve it. Thanks a lot physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2012 #2
    Maybe try looking up the average speed of an elevator and take half of that ... or just go with .01 m/s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook