Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is copulas exactly, in probability and finance terms

1. Mar 15, 2012 #1
    Hi, all
    I have been reading about copula, but still very confused.

What exactly is a copula? My understanding is: there are couple of components
    1. uniform cdf marginal
    2. a covariance matrix

What exactly is this thing? Why am I calculating the marginals and what does it have to do with the covariance matrix?

I am reading on the bivariate Gaussian copulas and t-copulas.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2012 #2
    Copula is just a joint probability distribution. The beauty is that copula models correlation. The downside is it is difficult to formulate different couplas. I like baysian network modelling of joint distributions. Baysian network handles more variables, not only bivariates; the downside is discretization. If you are reading the most recent Significance magazine you will find out all copula can do to the financing industry.

4. Mar 15, 2012 #3
    Thank you zlin034. What do you use to simulate copulas, Gaussian and student-t?

I have two ideas for bivariate Gaussian:
    1. integrate the density from Wiki, here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copula_(probability_theory)#Gaussian_copula

or this,
    http://www.vosesoftware.com/ModelRi...n_ModelRisk/Copulas/Vose_Bivariate_Copula.htm

2. use Cholesky-decomposition [itex]\Sigma[/itex]=A'A,
    then, generate iid standard normal random variables V = (V1, V2)',
    then, get Xi from A*V, for i=1,2.
    then, get ui= [itex]\Phi[/itex](Xi), for i=1,2.

5. Mar 16, 2012 #4
  6. Mar 16, 2012 #5
    I am not using R, but even in R there's an algorithm right? Is there a way to see what they did in the package?

7. Mar 18, 2012 #6
    R is open source right? Please read the source code from the package

8. Mar 18, 2012 #7
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  9. Mar 19, 2012 #8
    The compressed R packages have file extension .tar, they are called tar balls.

If you open the tar balls, you can see all sources codes are ASCII text files.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook