Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is meaning of (5,*), (6,*)and (*,*) in Fortran ?

1. Feb 23, 2015 #1
    Dear Members,

Why The characters "(5,*)" should appear after every READ and the characters "(6,*)" after every WRITE ? What is the use of "(*,*)" that can appear with either the READ or WRITE statements.

Best Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Filecode 5 was historically the standard card input for fortran and filecode 6 was for output to the printer.

Later 5 became read from the terminal device and 6 to write to the terminal device which then became using * as meaning read from or write to the terminal device. The second * is for a free form format for the day being read or written.

4. Feb 23, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you mean 'the data being read or written.'

5. Feb 23, 2015 #4
    Thank you jedishfu for your prompt response. I just found the explanation for (*,*). If one wishes to use the write statement to write a statement to the default output, the syntax is write(*,*). SO the thread is closed now

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  6. Feb 23, 2015 #5

jedishrfu

Yeah thanks SteamKing I am sometimes a victim of the overzealous spell checker on my iPad and I often forget to check back because I know what I typed.

7. Feb 24, 2015 #6

jtbell

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook