What Is Needed To Make An Intelligent Species?

• Thread starter Gold Barz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the chances of life evolving into an intelligent species on a planet with the necessary ingredients for life. Some believe that intelligence is a necessary outcome of evolution, while others argue that it requires luck or a long period of time for intelligence to develop. There is also a debate on whether intelligence is the same as knowledge, and if humans are the only intelligent species in the universe. The conversation concludes that intelligence is a valuable survival trait, but it took a long time for it to become a dominant trait in human evolution.
Gold Barz
Suppose on one planet all the ingredients necessary for life is available, as we know it will evolve but what are the chances of it evolving into an intelligent species (like us), do you just give it time and let time do its thing or do you need some other special ingredient?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Oh please, don't be shy - ask the really big questions!
;-)

I think once you get past
1] Is there a God?
and
2] Why are we here?
then your question
3] How did we get to be what we are?
is pretty much number 3 on the list of profoundly sought answers by Mankind.

Personally, I believe that intelligence is an exceedingly long shot of survival traits.

I don't think that's the direction Gold is going, Dave. I also disagree with your conclusion that intelligience is an 'exceedingly long shot'. Intelligience would seem to be the natural consequence of any evolutionary sequence. It has huge survival value. Feel free to decry its inadequacies, but is still efficient.

u believe we are intelligent.
i guess our intelligence tends to 0 when comparing to our very little knowledge with respect to space and time.
i guess by then, we won't be able to know its ingredients
thus we don't know what it needs more.
In fact can you define intelligence?
i guess for a human being, i prefer to say "logic" instead of "intelligence"
and i also believe that our Universe is "intelligent" but i can't explain why.

The answer is the "Genetic Algorithm" of nature! It is beginning to be used by humans to solve problems that require considerable intelligence. With reproduction & crossing over, mutations, fitness & natural selection, we came to be what we are. Without the intelligence we would be less likely to find solutions to life problems, and hence survive.
In another planet with the conditions of earth, intelligent life would surely emerge, although in a somewhat different form, depending on the fitness requirements and the history of events in that planet.

[QUOTE = A_I_]
i guess for a human being, i prefer to say "logic" instead of "intelligence"
[/QUOTE]

If humans are not intelligent then who is?

Gold Barz - Based on the theory of evolution, intelligence is not a necessary outcome, but as Chronos pointed out, intelligence has value for helping an organism survive (therefore, evolutionary mechanisms may favor the development of intelligence). Given that (1) intelligence is not a required outcome, (2) it is not clear how human intelligence developed, and (3) we have nothing else to compare our history to (no known alien species), I would say that there's no way to calculate the odds with any good certainty.

A I - I'd say that intelligence and knowledge are different things. For example, intelligence would be the ability to learn and knowledge would be what you learned. We may not know a big fraction of what is in the universe, but we have the ability to learn about it. Stone Age humans were just as intelligent as people today...they just had less scientific/institutional knowledge to work with.

Gold Barz said:
Suppose on one planet all the ingredients necessary for life is available, as we know it will evolve but what are the chances of it evolving into an intelligent species (like us), do you just give it time and let time do its thing or do you need some other special ingredient?

I think you need luck. Now, that's the same thing as waiting a long time of course. You know, play the lottery long enough and you'll have a good chance of winning in the course of many thousands of years. My view is that life is massively contingent: you could have all the ingredients and not luck, and I suspect no intelligent life will emerge. I think that's why it took so long to do it here. Need to persists long enough to increase the odds of the chance working in it's favor. We're lucky here I think. No more than two intelligent life forms in the Milky Way at anyone time. Drake is way off but I wouldn't want to argue the point with him.

So out of all the "alien life" out there, if they do exist, how many do you think would be intelligent? (a ballpark figure)

i agree with Chronos, survival makes creatures smarter

edit: this is completely baseless but I think there would be more than two intelligent species in the Milky Way at anyone time

Last edited:
Well, we do have somewhat of a reference frame here on Earth. Only one branch of the evolutionary tree has give rise to a creature with a significant capacity for reason ( which is how I will call it ). One in how many? I believe this would be somewhat similar to the proportion of life harbouring worlds where "reason" has emerged. Some factors specific to Earths evolutionary history may come and tweak this number a little but not significantly. Intelligence is just one strategy and it took a while before it paid-up for us.

Our real strength as a specie is our adaptability, which does stem from our intelligence : there are no ecosystem on Earth we cannot inhabit
(well... maybe oceanic abyss but you get the point, we are even making our first steps at living in space.)
But intelligence only gave us a definite edge in adaptability fairly recently when we domesticated fire. Before that, intelligence had a fairly neutral value has far as evolutionary traits go. We were in fact not a particularly successful branch of evolution in comparison to many others and palaeontologists believe that we dwindled on the edge of extinction a few times. So intelligence, in its early phase, has a lot of potential as a survival strategy but it took the greatest part of our history to really be any good. Before that, its chimp-with-a-stick V.S. sabertooth...

I see two milestones in our evolutionary history. One in our past, fire, pretty much assures us that humans will endure has long has the Earth does. Of course we will certainly have ups and down but even catastrophic ecological degradation, at this point, will not manage to wipe out our specie. Billions may die, but not all. It would be nice however if we smartened up before that happens :grumpy: . The only thing with the potential to eradicate humans at this point his a cosmological event: an asteroid collision or a neighbouring gamma ray emission *. This brings me to my second, future, milestone: space colonisation. If human manage to be able to survive independently of the Earths resources, well I believe we as a specie will live " forever ". Intelligence definitely has the greatest potential of all strategies but evolution does not select for far distant future potential, it selects for survival now...

* Oh and maybe the wrath of ASIMO :biggrin:

How about my question though?

"If humans are not intelligent then who is?"

i'm not saying that human aren't intelligent, but their intelligence is minimum;
evidence - until now we only use like 10% of our intelligence, maybe we will find a way to use the 100%; can anyone imagine how it would be?

-i agree with phobos about his third point of view
- "I'd say that intelligence and knowledge are different things"
I don't think it is right because ur example shows how much they are related,
they are complementary having what u learned which is "knowledge" it is in deed the work of ur intelligence; without intelligence there's no advanced knowledge.
I say advanced because there are two types of knowledge:
1- obervational knowledge (the fact of seeing and observing quite simple phenomena and ability to determine the cause)
2-experimental knowledge (which needs a certain degree of intelligence, it's about analysing, and resolving complex phenomena).

I say the first form is quite in our hands;
the second one we are still a bit far

- "Stone Age humans were just as intelligent as people today...they just had less scientific/institutional knowledge to work with."

although they had less scientific/institutional knowledge to work with
i don't think they were as intelligent as people today
argument - "genetic algorithm" (ramollari)

and i also say that relativity also takes turn in intelligence.
They saw theirselves intelligent
We see them less intelligent
we are intelligent
Next generations are more intelligent
they will see us less intelligent

I say it all started with simple logic statements - when verified - became knowledge;
this knowledge reflected intelligence.
This little knowledge they knew helped for the amplification of their intelligence;
therefore amplification of our knowledge;
and it continues.

Last edited:
Being inteligent is a great advantage for surviving. But actually, what is the determine factor to be inteligent? :rolleyes:

i guess being able to quick analysis is the most thing which shows how intelligent u r!

Gold Barz said:
So out of all the "alien life" out there, if they do exist, how many do you think would be intelligent? (a ballpark figure)

i agree with Chronos, survival makes creatures smarter

edit: this is completely baseless but I think there would be more than two intelligent species in the Milky Way at anyone time

This is how I see it: Life is massively contingent and there are plenty of stars in the Milky Way. These two cancel leaving unity. I added one because I'm optimistic.

Intelligent species and intelligent species like us, are two different things.

A great many species on Earth would probably be counted as intelligent is discovered on another planet instead of Earth. Certainly, just about any vertebrate or social insect would qualify. What if we discovered the equivalent of worms or jelly fish, however?

ohwilleke said:
Intelligent species and intelligent species like us, are two different things.

A great many species on Earth would probably be counted as intelligent is discovered on another planet instead of Earth. Certainly, just about any vertebrate or social insect would qualify. What if we discovered the equivalent of worms or jelly fish, however?

Not sure if you're referring to me but anyway I'd like to qualify my statement: I mean intelligent like us: technologically advanced: No more than two at anyone time in the Milky Way in my humble opinion. And while I'm at it, that Petter Jennings report last night about UFOs: Someone stated something about harnessing a million suns to create a wormhole. A million? Come on, I don't think there is a single entity in the whole universe that can do that. That's just me though.

So if life is present, evoultion takes its course, would intelligence be unlikely or likely?

Gold Barz said:
So if life is present, evoultion takes its course, would intelligence be unlikely or likely?

Well out of the millions of species on earth, only one that we know of has really crossed the line to intelligence. Therefor it would look like P(intelligence;life) ~ 10-6.

Gold Barz said:
In an evironment that is complex and ever-changing, the creatures that can adapt most readily and "roll with the punches" will be most likely to survive. Some types of adaptation, such as morphological differentiation (animals evolving into larger or smaller sizes, developing better resistance to heat and cold, being able to break up and chew harder nuts, etc, etc) take a VERY long time to happen. Other adaptations, like herd animals shifting their home ranges and migration patterns as the climate changes, happen on shorter time-scales.

Intelligence and the ability to communicate knowledge permit extremely rapid types of adaptation, such as behavioral changes. Thus, humans can enhance their chances of having adequate food by growing crops, they can survive in colder climates by building fires and fashioning insulating clothing, they can eat a wider range of foods by making physical and chemical changes in them (grinding, cooking, etc), and most of all, they can pass this information along to their children. Given this, we see that intelligence has a very high survival value to some organisms because it helps maximize their adaptability to the most demanding and most rapidly-changing environments.

I believe that if complex organisms exist someplace beyond Earth, we should expect that natural selection will drive a progression toward intelligence. The most robust creatures (think of whales and elephants and bears, for instance) will probably not benefit as greatly from intelligence as punier creatures like ourselves, but they will benefit to some extent, and we should expect them to become more intelligent as well, just not as quickly as humans did. Animals with limited speed, strength, etc, (like humans) will benefit tremendously from the adaptability conferred by intelligence and communication, so we should not be surprised to find intelligence out there.

Yeah I read that somewhere before that creatures with less physical abilities (speed, size, strength, etc) would evolve more...some of the animals that have defense mechanisms will never evolve into intelligent beings because they don't need intelligence to survive...our defense mechanism is our intelligence

selfAdjoint said:
Well out of the millions of species on earth, only one that we know of has really crossed the line to intelligence. Therefor it would look like P(intelligence;life) ~ 10-6.
But you have to multiply the probability of any life form developing intelligence by the number of different lifeforms on any planet, i.e.

P(intelligence on a particular planet) = NxP(intelligence;life) ~ 1 for Earth.

Garth

So Garth, what is your personal opinion, is intelligence likely or unlikely in this universe?

That depends on N and P(intelligence;life), and N depends on a lot of unknowns.

Personally if we are the only ones then "it would seem an awful waste of space."

Garth

Garth said:
But you have to multiply the probability of any life form developing intelligence by the number of different lifeforms on any planet, i.e.

Garth

I can't accept that, even as a Bayesian prior. Gould has pointed out that even a small difference in the timing of the various species extinction events in the history of Earth's biology could have prevented human evolution by locking biology into some dead-end for a few billion years. I am usually no fan of Gould's reasoning, but this seems like a solid conclusion to me.

Even after ~ 2X109 years, as recently as half a million years ago, there was no intelligent life that we know of on this planet.

Seems like a pessimistic conclusion, it could have gone either way on those events

selfAdjoint said:
I can't accept that, even as a Bayesian prior. Gould has pointed out that even a small difference in the timing of the various species extinction events in the history of Earth's biology could have prevented human evolution by locking biology into some dead-end for a few billion years. I am usually no fan of Gould's reasoning, but this seems like a solid conclusion to me.

Even after ~ 2X109 years, as recently as half a million years ago, there was no intelligent life that we know of on this planet.
If we hold our own intelligence up as the yardstick by which all other creatures will be judged as "intelligent" or brute animals, we have lost sight of how intelligence develops in a continuum. It is very likely that in those species for which increased brain-power = more survivablility, the currently-living examples have higher levels of cognitive function than their distant ancestors. So where do we draw the delineation for "intelligence"? Is it in a distant ancestor of our own 250,000 years ago? 500,000 years ago, or earlier or later?

How about cross-species measures of intelligence? In 1819, the whaling ship Essex had put out whaleboats to attack a pod of sperm whales in the South Pacific. A large bull attacked and damaged one whaleboat, skippered by first mate Owen Chase, then broke off from the pod and attacked the Essex, deliberately ramming it twice in the bow, at about the same spot. The first hit badly damaged the hull, and the second hit stove in the hull, sinking the ship. You can Google on the aftermath of that sinking, if you have the stomach for it - the story is very gruesome (barely hinted at in Mountain's song "Nantucket Sleighride"). There was another sperm whale - a great albino bull named Mocha Dick (named for the area where he was often seen near the Mocha Island) that had a fearsome (decades-long) reputation for attacking whale boats, whaling ships and other naval vessels. Of course, these attacks could have been a conditioned response, since when he was finally killed, he was found to have been harpooned at least 20 times. This particular whale was later the star of Melville's "Moby Dick". Were these whales exhibiting intelligence? What would make the big bull leave his pod, where his cows and calves were being injured by men in small whale boats, and go sink the whaling ship Essex? By all accounts, that is exactly what the bull did, exhibiting a strategy that would seem beyond a "dumb animal".

How much capacity for reason and cognition does a creature need to exhibit before we will acknowledge its intelligence? Tough question...

But it did happen, intelligence DID emerge on this planet, why are we assuming that it is not likely to happen again if it already happened in one life-bearing planet, why do people like to think we are special or something?

Gold Barz said:
But it did happen, intelligence DID emerge on this planet, why are we assuming that it is not likely to happen again if it already happened in one life-bearing planet, why do people like to think we are special or something?

Well, two per galaxy is still a bunch in my view. Also, life like most of nature is highly non-linear. You're familiar with the "butterfly effect" right? Just a small change in initial conditions can lead to drastically different outcomes. You know, just that random encounter on a sidewalk can lead to a wife, marriage, children, career, on an on. And you didn't even want that donnut anyway! See what I mean.

Really, if more people felt that life is rare in the Milky Way, wouldn't that cause us to value it so much more as opposed to our squandering of it all about with this and that. A separate thread indeed!

You are so pessimistic, why do you assume that it will go the opposite, lead to a dead end?, it could lead to a faster way to evolution or just a slower way...like I said it evolved on this planet...yeah it took a long time but it happened, if something different happened it would change its course but whos to say it won't doesn't have the same "goal" so to speak

Even if it is a billion-to-one odds, there are billions of stars in the galaxy so that would be one hundred civilizations at any given time and then times that by the galaxies and that would be in the millions range at anyone time...its still rare though but there are so many stars that there are still MANY of them

Gold Barz said:
You are so pessimistic, why do you assume that it will go the opposite, lead to a dead end?, it could lead to a faster way to evolution or just a slower way...like I said it evolved on this planet...yeah it took a long time but it happened, if something different happened it would change its course but whos to say it won't doesn't have the same "goal" so to speak

Actually no. I'm pretty optimistic about things. That's a good point you make though. Perhaps it could go faster. I yield. And also I'm the first to acknowledge that I cannot really comprehend a 100 billion star-system. I really think there's tons of life in the Milky Way but it takes so much persistence and luck to become "advanced".

I don't think life has any "goal" in mind. It's just brutal hard-core Darwinism: whatever contributes to the survivability or reproducibility of the individual contributes to the gene pool. Due to chance and non-linearity, we could be the only Homo sapiens in the universe.

I am just saying that I don't think intelligence is as rare as people make it out to be, natural selection favours intelligence...instead of "the strong survive" how about "the smart survive".

What do you mean you can't comprehend a 100 billion star galaxy? It really doesn't matter because that's a fact.

Gold Barz said:
I am just saying that I don't think intelligence is as rare as people make it out to be, natural selection favours intelligence...instead of "the strong survive" how about "the smart survive".

What do you mean you can't comprehend a 100 billion star galaxy? It really doesn't matter because that's a fact.

Smart at what? We are the ONLY land species out of umpteen thousands or maybe millions that have evolved since life crawled ashore to develop what we think of as intelligence. If human-style intelligence is evolutionarily favored, why didn't the therodonts or some other bipedal form develop it? Why don't we have ruins of eosimian cities? Modern thinking on the evolutionary role of intelligence tends to look at interactions within the primate band; social rather than enviromental struggle. So maybe the answer to the question in the title of this thread is bipedalism + complex social interactions.

Ya ever think about us preventing other life forms from evolving into an intelligent species...? just like the dino's prevented us

plus how do you know that there is only one particular way to evolve into an intelligent life form?

Last edited:
Garth said:

Thats right...like I said even if the odds are a billion-to-one or 5 billion-to-one on any given planet, there still would be 50-100 human-like intelligence in the Milky Way alone...dont forget sattelites

<h2>1. What is the definition of an intelligent species?</h2><p>An intelligent species is a group of living organisms that possess advanced cognitive abilities, such as problem-solving, self-awareness, and communication, which allow them to adapt and thrive in their environment.</p><h2>2. What are the key factors that contribute to the development of intelligence in a species?</h2><p>The key factors that contribute to the development of intelligence in a species include brain size and complexity, social interactions, and environmental challenges that require problem-solving skills.</p><h2>3. Can intelligence be measured and compared between different species?</h2><p>Yes, intelligence can be measured and compared between different species using various tests and assessments, such as problem-solving tasks, memory tests, and communication abilities.</p><h2>4. Is intelligence solely determined by genetics or can it be influenced by environmental factors?</h2><p>Both genetics and environmental factors play a role in the development of intelligence in a species. While genetics provide the foundation for cognitive abilities, environmental factors, such as learning and social interactions, can also shape and enhance intelligence.</p><h2>5. What are some examples of intelligent species on Earth?</h2><p>Some examples of intelligent species on Earth include humans, dolphins, elephants, chimpanzees, and ravens. These species have demonstrated advanced cognitive abilities and problem-solving skills in various studies and observations.</p>

1. What is the definition of an intelligent species?

An intelligent species is a group of living organisms that possess advanced cognitive abilities, such as problem-solving, self-awareness, and communication, which allow them to adapt and thrive in their environment.

2. What are the key factors that contribute to the development of intelligence in a species?

The key factors that contribute to the development of intelligence in a species include brain size and complexity, social interactions, and environmental challenges that require problem-solving skills.

3. Can intelligence be measured and compared between different species?

Yes, intelligence can be measured and compared between different species using various tests and assessments, such as problem-solving tasks, memory tests, and communication abilities.

4. Is intelligence solely determined by genetics or can it be influenced by environmental factors?

Both genetics and environmental factors play a role in the development of intelligence in a species. While genetics provide the foundation for cognitive abilities, environmental factors, such as learning and social interactions, can also shape and enhance intelligence.

5. What are some examples of intelligent species on Earth?

Some examples of intelligent species on Earth include humans, dolphins, elephants, chimpanzees, and ravens. These species have demonstrated advanced cognitive abilities and problem-solving skills in various studies and observations.