What is Oxygene and is it safe for my dog's teeth?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Carole10
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
Carole10
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I saw a dog teeth cleaning solution with an ingredient "oxygene" in it. I can't find Oxygene on the internet and it may be a "made up" name for something less gentle sounding. I would like to buy the product, (Oxy-Fresh) but not if it will harm my dog in the long run. Anyone know what oxygene may actually be? Thanks, Carol10
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
That's a trade-name for Chlorine Dioxide. I don't think I would dump that stuff into my dog's drinking water. I was a process chemist in a pulp mill for a number of years, and we used ClO2 to bleach the lignin out of the pulp and whiten it.
 
If you want to do good things for your dog's dental health, buy it a hard rubber chew toy with lots of nubbles and crevices. I bought my dog a Pup Treads hard rubber bone, and it's his favorite chew-toy.
 
turbo-1 said:
That's a trade-name for Chlorine Dioxide. I don't think I would dump that stuff into my dog's drinking water. I was a process chemist in a pulp mill for a number of years, and we used ClO2 to bleach the lignin out of the pulp and whiten it.

That would actually be sodium chlorite. The chlorine dioxide is released when the solubilized chlorite is acidified by the stuff in your mouth and by the other ingredients in the formulation. The product contains: Deionized Water (Aqua), Oxygene® (Stabilized Chlorine Dioxide), Zinc Acetate, Sodium Citrate, Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid

Stabilized chlorine dioxide = sodium chlorite

It is pretty safe stuff in smallish quantities as is found in these products.

Flouride is much more dangerous IMO.
 
chemisttree said:
Flouride is much more dangerous IMO.
Well, I'm not going to brush my dog's teeth with fluoride, either. :biggrin: BTW, the stuff referenced in the OP is meant to be introduced into your dog's water, for ingestion. Give your dog a balanced diet with crunchy food, and some tough chew-toys, and dental health will improve and their breath won't be a problem.

Another thing that I don't get...why fixate on a dog's breath? Generally, what comes out of the other end is far more potent.
 
Because they don't lick your face with the other end?:wink: