Plastic containers made in different countries?

• Thread starter kenny1999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plastic
In summary, the conversation discusses concerns about the safety and chemical details of plastic products, particularly for home use. The speaker shares their experience with researching and testing plastic products in their lab, and offers some tips for selecting and using plastics for aquatic organisms. They also suggest washing plastic products before initial use to remove any leftover chemicals from the manufacturing process.
kenny1999
I have been shopping around and looking at the label on different home products carefully.
I am especially concerned about plastics. There are tons of different plastic products but most of
them only state what it is made and where it is made without other chemical details. For example,
Polypropylene storage containers, most of them are made in China, some of them are made in Thailand, but some of them state that they are made in England or Japan.

Something made in England or Japan sounds good but by my logical thinking, it has been a long history in manufacturing plastics products and so every technology should be already very sophisticated and shouldn't make much difference in terms of technology. However, could it be
that one bad brand reduces cost and use less ingredient or addictives so that their plastic products are more likely to leach??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is your application here? My lab relied for years on good scientific research suppliers like Aldrich (Millipore-Sigma), Carolina Biological, etc. If this for home use all bets are off, IMO.

Unless you can perform sophisticated tests, you have to rely on vendors who are willing to stand behind their products.

You cannot do this at home but it will give you an example of one type of QA testing for polypropylene:
http://jpdb.nihs.go.jp/jp14e/14data/General_Test/Test_Methods_for_Plastic_C.pdf

There are lot of plastic-is-bad sites out there that, IMO, are scary, maybe too scary, and I'm not qualified to state whether they have merit.

If you can't figure it out, use glass. If it is for cooking use borate glass (Pyrex brand cookware is no longer boro-silicate glass).

See: https://www.quora.com/Are-Pyrex-dishes-oven-safe

jim mcnamara said:
What is your application here? My lab relied for years on good scientific research suppliers like Aldrich (Millipore-Sigma), Carolina Biological, etc. If this for home use all bets are off, IMO.

Unless you can perform sophisticated tests, you have to rely on vendors who are willing to stand behind their products.

You cannot do this at home but it will give you an example of one type of QA testing for polypropylene:
http://jpdb.nihs.go.jp/jp14e/14data/General_Test/Test_Methods_for_Plastic_C.pdf

There are lot of plastic-is-bad sites out there that, IMO, are scary, maybe too scary, and I'm not qualified to state whether they have merit.

If you can't figure it out, use glass. If it is for cooking use borate glass (Pyrex brand cookware is no longer boro-silicate glass).

See: https://www.quora.com/Are-Pyrex-dishes-oven-safe

My purpose is the plastic storage box for books and other non-food stuff. I avoid plastic for food.

However, they are often used up to many many many years normally, unless they are broken but it's unlikely. That's why I am thinking if I am putting more plastic box of unknown brand home I am putting myself at higher risk.

Thanks for any comment

Probably best to store things in nothing but carved granite! Well, there’s the radon thing...

For any given product, the mold can be filled with different material from different sources with different additives or quality of the main material.
Some manufacturer will use only high quality plastic, others will use where they can get away with.

I used to run a zebrafish research facility. We had a lot of products in contact with the fish water and did a lot of bioassaying of the different plastics on embryonic fish development (very sensitive). Some products have lot to lot variation in how the plastics affected the developing fish. This was not differentitated on the packaging (by lot number), unless they were products for labs or some other serious use.

These are more like considerations for food contact use (or better), rather than for just as non-food containers. But if you are concerned about possible chemical exposure, they are somewhat relevant.

Food grade plastics, medical products, and lab materials most often passed our tests.

Some rules of thumb for selecting plastics/rubbers for use with aquatic organisms:
  • polypropylene is usually better than polyethylene (cost more, higher melting point)
  • plastics that don't smell and usually better than those that smell badly
  • blue and black plastics for outdoor use usually have UV blockers that can leach out (bad).
  • flexible plastics often have chemicals added to give them those properties. These chemicals can leach out (bad).
  • there are several kinds of silicon rubber
  • wash plastics before initial use to remove chemicals left over from the manufacturing process (such as mold release compounds)

• Informative
Likes kenny1999 and DrClaude
BillTre said:
For any given product, the mold can be filled with different material from different sources with different additives or quality of the main material.
Some manufacturer will use only high quality plastic, others will use where they can get away with.

I used to run a zebrafish research facility. We had a lot of products in contact with the fish water and did a lot of bioassaying of the different plastics on embryonic fish development (very sensitive). Some products have lot to lot variation in how the plastics affected the developing fish. This was not differentitated on the packaging (by lot number), unless they were products for labs or some other serious use.

These are more like considerations for food contact use (or better), rather than for just as non-food containers. But if you are concerned about possible chemical exposure, they are somewhat relevant.

Food grade plastics, medical products, and lab materials most often passed our tests.

Some rules of thumb for selecting plastics/rubbers for use with aquatic organisms:
  • polypropylene is usually better than polyethylene (cost more, higher melting point)
  • plastics that don't smell and usually better than those that smell badly
  • blue and black plastics for outdoor use usually have UV blockers that can leach out (bad).
  • flexible plastics often have chemicals added to give them those properties. These chemicals can leach out (bad).
  • there are several kinds of silicon rubber
  • wash plastics before initial use to remove chemicals left over from the manufacturing process (such as mold release compounds)

Hi. Thanks for the advice. A few more questions

Is PolyPropylene "flexible plastics" or not?
Is PP without color (i.e. transparent) the best, which would not leach or leach very little?
How to wash plastics?? Soak it in water for a night or just wipe it with a wet towel is enough?
Do I need to wash it with detergent or just pure water is fine??

Thanks !

kenny1999 said:
Is PolyPropylene "flexible plastics" or not?
Normally, it is not flexible. If it flexible, it probably has something added to it to make it flexible.

kenny1999 said:
Is PP without color (i.e. transparent) the best, which would not leach or leach very little?
It can be colored, but its natural "color" is is translucent white-greyish.
There are a lot of products used in molecular biology that are colored. I would guess these colored materials don't leach much or they would not be good for doing molecular biology. However, there may be products with leachable colors.

kenny1999 said:
How to wash plastics?? Soak it in water for a night or just wipe it with a wet towel is enough?
Do I need to wash it with detergent or just pure water is fine??
We used to wash new plastic materials with detergent and then rinse with water (or better first a weak acid then water). Done properly this was a fish safe solution and would probably be human food safe as well. It was our assumption that many contaminants would not be easily water soluble.

Depending on your intended uses, I would try to come up with a test for the materials you use, if possible.

Likes kenny1999
BillTre said:
Normally, it is not flexible. If it flexible, it probably has something added to it to make it flexible.It can be colored, but its natural "color" is is translucent white-greyish.
There are a lot of products used in molecular biology that are colored. I would guess these colored materials don't leach much or they would not be good for doing molecular biology. However, there may be products with leachable colors.We used to wash new plastic materials with detergent and then rinse with water (or better first a weak acid then water). Done properly this was a fish safe solution and would probably be human food safe as well. It was our assumption that many contaminants would not be easily water soluble.

Depending on your intended uses, I would try to come up with a test for the materials you use, if possible.

Hi. Did you mean washing with water alone is usually not enough to remove the contaminants and
should be cleaned and washed with detergent? Is the generic detergent for kitchen good enough?

How to test the PP container and what to test?

Because I am going to buy the same model of plastic containers in a lot...the merchant has little knowledge on this because they are just retailer...

kenny1999 said:
Hi. Did you mean washing with water alone is usually not enough to remove the contaminants and
should be cleaned and washed with detergent? Is the generic detergent for kitchen good enough?
Yes. Usually.

kenny1999 said:
How to test the PP container and what to test?
It depends upon your intended use.
We tested on baby fish since our intended use was with fish and the baby fish are particularly sensitive.

For "home use", it would depend upon what your uses and concerns are (which are unstated).
Since I can breed ZF fairly easily, and I expect the baby ZF bioassay to be somewhat reflective of possible bad effects on humans (or pets) that would probably be my personal choice of a test. However, its seems unlikely this approach would work for many others.
The simplest things to do would be to use food grade, lab grade, or medical grade products and forget about testing. However, this would not always work since some lab gloves in contact with fishwater for about 1 second would be enough to kill baby fish. o_O Others were fine.
If it does not smell bad and you or others are not going to eat or drink out of it, chew on it, otherwise have intimate contact with it then you might not want to worry about it so much.

Lot-to-lot variability:
We also tested fish nets for their resistance to autoclaving because that is how we sterilized them between uses. There was a lot of lot-to-lot variability in the nets from a single supplier. Persumably they would get plastics from different sources to make different lots of nets. Since it had no effect on the normal use of the fishnets, the suppliers did not usually care about it, but for us some lots of nets would melt if autoclaved. We would arrange to get samples of a lot from a supplier and when we found a good lot order a few thousand nets.
Similar results were occasionally found using the baby fish test.

1. What are the main differences between plastic containers made in different countries?

The main differences between plastic containers made in different countries include the type of plastic used, the manufacturing process, and the quality standards. Some countries may use different types of plastic that have varying levels of durability and safety. The manufacturing process can also differ, leading to variations in the strength and integrity of the containers. Additionally, different countries may have different quality standards and regulations for plastic production, which can affect the overall quality of the containers.

2. Are plastic containers made in certain countries safer than others?

There is no definitive answer to this question, as safety standards and regulations can vary greatly between countries. However, it is important to note that some countries have stricter regulations and more rigorous testing processes for plastic products, which may result in safer containers. It is always important to research the specific country and manufacturer of the plastic containers to ensure they meet safety standards.

3. Can plastic containers made in different countries be recycled together?

In most cases, plastic containers made in different countries can be recycled together. However, it is important to check the recycling symbols on the containers to ensure they are made from the same type of plastic. Mixing different types of plastic can contaminate the recycling process and make it difficult to properly recycle the materials.

4. Are there any environmental concerns with plastic containers made in different countries?

There are several environmental concerns related to plastic containers made in different countries. These include the use of non-biodegradable materials, the carbon footprint of transporting the containers, and the potential for plastic pollution if the containers are not disposed of properly. It is important to consider these factors and choose plastic containers from countries with more sustainable practices.

5. How can I determine the country of origin for plastic containers?

The country of origin for plastic containers can typically be found on the packaging or on the bottom of the container itself. It may also be listed on the manufacturer's website or in the product specifications. If you are unable to find this information, you can contact the manufacturer directly for clarification.