1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs What is physics engineering about?

1. Nov 16, 2017 #1
    Hi.
    I've got a simple question, what is Physics engineering about?
    In my country there are only two university that has this course degree, but I can't understand what is their purpose?
    What kind of job physics engineers do?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2017 #2
    Contact those university departments. Why would know best right?

4. Nov 16, 2017 #3
    I watched those websites, but it is described only what students will study and not for which job they are prepared for.

5. Nov 16, 2017 #4
    Email or call them. They have advisors.

6. Nov 16, 2017 #5
  7. Nov 16, 2017 #6
  8. Nov 16, 2017 #7
    I imagine that none of us on PF can definitively answer your question, but I'll give it a guess. In my own case, my bachelor's degree was called Engineering Science, which suggests something similar to Engineering Physics of Physics Engineering.

I would presume that this will be an engineering degree with more science and perhaps a bit less practical engineering emphasis than usual. In my own case, I had a block of 27 credits in which to work out a "major," and I could have spent them all in mechanics and mathematics (as I did), or in EE, or Aero, or Nuclear, or ChemE or whatever else seemed to make a coherent program of study. I would hope that you would have some similar option.

9. Nov 16, 2017 #8
    It's a mix of more engineering courses?

10. Nov 16, 2017 #9
    In my case, I was free to choose anything I thought fit (with my advisor's approval) and I chose from ME, EM, Physics, and Math.

11. Nov 17, 2017 #10
    I did, they told me that the chat is only for bureaucracy staff.

So you choose Physical engineering and after you asked if you can do others courses from other undergraduate program ?

12. Nov 17, 2017 #11

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Read about the particular programs which may interest you from the university catalogs which have the programs of interest. Choose Computer Science or Engineering, earn your degree, and get a job!

13. Nov 17, 2017 #12

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to contact the universities in question to find out. There is no single "definition" of engineering physics; the type of courses you take and the "goal" (what type of job they prepare you for) varies between countries and even between universities in the same country.

My undergraduate degree is in Engineering physics (MSc). The program I attended (in Sweden) was basically a physics program with lots of math and a bunch of engineering courses (mostly electrical engineering, VERY useful if you as me end up doing experimental physics) and took 4.5 years to complete. The 4th year was entirely made up of elective courses. I took the "physics" route (graduate level QM, statistical physics etc ) and then went on to get a PhD in physics; but I had friends who specialized i e.g. microwave engineering and went to industry.
    Many (perhaps the majority) of the people who get a PhD in physics in Sweden has an undergraduate degree in engineering physics; and that includes theorists (Max Tegmark is a good example).
    However, there are also universities in Sweden where the Engineering Physics program is essentially electrical engineering with added physics courses (e.g. "extra" semiconductor physics) and more math.

The system in Italy might (obviously) be very different. You need to check.

14. Nov 18, 2017 #13
    I've checked the wikipedia page of that guy and he seem a very inspiriting person, Elon Musk gave him money to investigate the risk of AI, so cool.
    Thanks for you answers, it is really helpful.

Although this, I in his wikipedia page there is no reference to physics engineering, the page says that he studied economy if i'm not wrong, and that he studied at KTM, which is great.

In Italy it's a mix of more engineering courses, but you can't chose which you want to study, you have to accept the course they give you,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted