What is purpose of an integrating factor and how do you get one?

Of course, there is not "solution" since there is no "= 0"! The general solution is just x2y4= C.)In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of exact differentials and integrating factors. The purpose of an integrating factor is to make a non-exact differential into an exact one. There is no general method for finding an integrating factor, but in this specific case, it is possible to find one by multiplying the differential by x. This process is used to solve differential equations.
jenzao

Homework Statement

Am I doing this correctly?
Is 2y^4dx +4xy^3dy exact or inexact?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So if its exact, then M(x,y)dx = N(x,y)dy right? (Euler)

But how can I take partial derivative of 2y^4 with respect to x, if there is no x to derive??

thats where I am stuck?

Physics news on Phys.org

This is unclear.

Unclear

But how can I take partial derivative of 2y^4 with respect to x, if there is no x to derive??

2y^4 is constant does not change with respect to x

If the function f = 2y^4 does not change as x changes; it remains constant
d [f] / dx should be?

jenzao said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

You have omitted something here: this is supposed to be

M(x,y) dx + N(x,y) dy = 0

is an exact differential equation (in R) iff

M_y (x,y) = N_x (x,y) everywhere on R.

So you need to take partial derivatives to check this...

... which you have reversed the order of in your work. You should be taking the partial derivative of 2y^4 with respect to y.

jenzao said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

No, you have it reversed. It is M(x,y)y= N(x,y)x- assuming you mean M(x,y)dx+ N(x,y)dy.

Then it is a constant with respect to x and the derivative would be 0. However what you want is (2y4)y and (4xy3)x.

thats where I am stuck?
Remember WHY you are doing that. IF M(x,y)dx+ N(x,y)dy is an exact differential, then there exist some function f(x,y) such that df= M(x,y)dx+ N(x,y)dy. By the chain rule,
[tex]df= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} dy[/itex]
so if M(x,y)dx + N(x,y)dy is exact, M(x,y)= fx and N(x,y)= fy. Taking the derivatives of M and N give the mixed derivatives: M(x,y)y= fxy and N(x,y)x= fyx. As long as the derivatives are all continuous, those mixed derivatives must be equal.

That does NOT answer your title questin "What is the purpose of an integrating factor and how do we find one".

Given a function f(x,y), it "differential" is
[tex]df= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy[/tex]
Writing arbitrary functions for M(x,y) and N(x,y) in M(x,y)dx+ N(x,y)dy may LOOK like a differential but as I pointed out above, such an f exists if and only if the above criterion is satisfied- if and only if the differential is exact. It can be shown that, given anything of the form M(x,y)dx+ N(x,y)dy you can always multiply it by some function of x and y to make it exact- an "integrating factor". There is, however, NO general method of finding an integrating factor.

In this particular case, since both M(x,y) and N(x,y) involve only powers of x and y, I might try xnym as an integrating factor. Multiplying by that, I have 2xnym+4dx+ 4xn+1ym+3dy. Now, (2xnym+4)y= 2(m+4)xnym+3 and (4xn+1ym+3)x= 4(n+1)xnym+3. The powers of x and y are correct! In order that those be equal we must have 2(m+4)= 4(n+1) or 2m+ 8= 4n+ 4 so m= 2n- 2. It is easest to take n= 1 so m= 0. That means that x itself is an integrating factor: (2xy4)y[/sup]= 8xy3 and (4x2y3)x= 8xy3 also.

That means there must exist some function f(x,y) so that df= fxdx+ fyydy= (2xy4)dx+ (4x2y3)dy. In particular, fx= 2xy4 so, integrating with respect to x (while treating y as a constant since this is a partial derivative) we have f(x,y)= x2y4+ C(y). Notice that, because y is treated as a constant in partial differentiation, the "constant of integration" might be a function of y. However, differentiating that with respect to y we have (x2y4+ C(y))y= 4x2y3+ C'(y)= 4x2y3 so C'(y)= 0- C really is a constant. f(x,y)= x2 y4+ C.

Now, whether multiplying by that "integrating factor" disrupts the rest of the problem depends upon what the problem is! dynamicsolo is incorrect to suggest that there must be an "= 0" on that. A "differential" is not a "differential equation" and an "exact differential is not an "exact differential equation". However, if the problem really were, as he suggested, to solve the (non-exact) differential equation 2y4dx+ 4xy3= 0, then multiply both sides by x gives 2xy4dx+ 4x2y3= d(x2y4)= 0 which has the general solution x2y4= C.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a mathematical function used in the process of solving differential equations. It is multiplied with the entire equation to make it easier to solve and find the general solution.

2. What is the purpose of an integrating factor?

The purpose of an integrating factor is to help solve differential equations that cannot be solved by other methods such as separation of variables or substitution. It allows us to transform a non-exact differential equation into an exact one.

3. How do you know when an integrating factor is needed?

An integrating factor is needed when the differential equation is not exact, meaning that the partial derivatives of the equation are not equal. This can be determined by checking if the equation satisfies the exactness condition: M(x,y)dx + N(x,y)dy = 0, where M and N are the coefficients of dx and dy, respectively.

4. How do you find the integrating factor?

To find the integrating factor for a given differential equation, we first determine if the equation is not exact. If it is not exact, we then calculate the integrating factor by taking the exponential of the integral of the ratio of the coefficients of dx and dy, i.e. e∫(N-M)/N dx. This will give us the integrating factor μ(x), which we then multiply with the entire equation to make it exact.

5. Are there any other methods for solving differential equations besides using an integrating factor?

Yes, there are other methods for solving differential equations such as separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas for certain types of equations. However, an integrating factor is a useful tool for solving non-exact differential equations and can often lead to a simpler and more elegant solution.