Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is significance of eulers number

Tags:
  1. Dec 28, 2017 #1
    Thread moved by mentor
    why is 'e' so important number. e^x is said to be natural language of growth. Why isnt 2^x a 100% growth.Can anyone explain me the difference between both of these and also bit more about number e which known as famous constant.please explain clearly. I will appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2017 #2

scottdave

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I'm on my phone, so I won't go into detail. One thing special about e^x compared to other exponentials is the slope of the function is the value of the function. I would like to point you to this Mathologer video.
    . "e to the pi i for dummies"

4. Dec 28, 2017 #3

scottdave

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

The video ia about 15 minutes, but he discusses where e comes from in the first few minutes.

5. Dec 28, 2017 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

It is the only number, a, where d/dx (ax) = ax. Any other number requires an "e-related" multiplier (like d/dx (2x) = ln(2) ⋅ 2x). So it is the simplest exponential function when it comes to derivatives. Furthermore, the others (like 2x = eln(2)⋅x) are very easy to write in terms of e, so ex is the most basic exponential function.

Likewise, its inverse function, ln(x), has a very simple derivative, 1/x, whereas derivatives of logarithms to any other base require an "e-related" multiplier.

As the link in @scottdave 's post indicates, there are a lot of nice things about ez in the complex plane.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted