What is Stoll's definition of the natural logarithm function?

In summary, Stoll's book Introduction to Real Analysis uses the Chain Rule and the Fundamental Theorem of the Calculus, but he confusingly stated that F'(ax) = f(ax) which is not true. The definition of the natural logarithm through a definite integral has criticalities when the variable is a complex number.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Manfred Stoll's book: Introduction to Real Analysis.

I need help with Stoll's definition of the natural logarithm function (page 234 -235)

The relevant section of Stoll reads as follows:

View attachment 3975
In this section we read:

" ... ... To prove (a), consider the function \(\displaystyle L(ax), x \gt 0\). By the Chain Rule (Theorem 5.1.6)

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} L(ax) = \frac{1}{ax} a = \frac{1}{x} = L'(x) \)

... ... "I am somewhat puzzled by the above text ... I hope someone can clarify it for me ...

I will try to make my problem clear ... as follows ... ...

In the above text that I have quoted, the Chain Rule and the Fundamental Theorem of the Calculus (FTC) are used ...

... BUT ... the FTC asserts that if:

\(\displaystyle F(x) = \int_a^x f\)(t) dt

then

\(\displaystyle F'(c) = f(c)\) where \(\displaystyle c\) belongs to an interval \(\displaystyle [a,b] \)... BUT ... in the text on the natural logarithm function, Stoll seems (confusingly in my opinion!) that

\(\displaystyle F'(ax) = f(ax)\) ... ... !?

... BUT ... \(\displaystyle x\) is the upper limit of the integral ...

How then are we to interpret this use of FTC? ... ... indeed, if \(\displaystyle a \gt 1\), then \(\displaystyle ax \gt x\) where \(\displaystyle x\) is the upper limit of the integral \(\displaystyle \int_a^x f(t) dt\) ... ...

I thus find the above puzzling and confusing ...

Can someone please clarify the above issue for me ... ...

Peter***EDIT***

Since my post above refers to Stoll's statement of the Fundamental Theorem of the Calculus, I am providing Stoll's statement of the relevant version of the Fundamental Theorem of the Calculus as follows:View attachment 3976
View attachment 3977

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

If I am understanding your question correctly, you are confused as to why we are able to apply FTC when $ax$ is not in the interval $(a,x)$ in $\displaystyle \int_1^x f(t) \,dt$? You can view the $x$ in the FTC and the $x$ in $ax$ are different $x$'s. In the case of the $ax$, we are to interpret that $ax\in(0,\infty)$. I think, more clearly, we can say $L(s)=\int_{1}^{s} f(t) \,dt$, and so let $s=ax \in(0,\infty)$, then $L'(ax)=\frac{1}{x}$.

So indeed, it follows from the definition where $c=ax$ and $c$ belongs in the interval $[a,b]$. Again, this $a$ is different from the above $a$.

Last edited:
While entirely correct, this definition of the natural logarithm seems extremely convoluted. It is much more concise to define the natural exponential function $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = \mathrm{e}^x \end{align*}$ as being the exponential function which is equal to its own derivative. Since this function is one-to-one, its inverse is a function, which is defined as the natural logarithm.

Prove It said:
While entirely correct, this definition of the natural logarithm seems extremely convoluted. It is much more concise to define the natural exponential function $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = \mathrm{e}^x \end{align*}$ as being the exponential function which is equal to its own derivative. Since this function is one-to-one, its inverse is a function, which is defined as the natural logarithm.
It's the book (what analysis text uses x as both bound and free variable? I mean, really?).

The definition he gave is actually nice. This is the proof he should have presented:

Consider $ \displaystyle \int_1^{ab}\frac{1}{t}\;{dt} = \int_1^a\frac{1}{t}\;{dt}+\int_a^{ab}\frac{1}{t}\;{dt}. $ Let $t = au$ for the last integral

We have $ \displaystyle \int_a^{ab}\frac{1}{t}\;{dt} = \int_1^{b} \frac{1}{u}\;{du}$, therefore $\displaystyle \int_1^{ab}\frac{1}{t}\;{dt}=\int_1^a\frac{1}{t}\;{dt}+\int_1^b\frac{1}{t}\;{dt}.$

The definition of 'natural logarithm' through a definite integral has, in my opinion, criticalities when the variable is a complex number ...

$\displaystyle \ln z = \int_{1}^{z} \frac{d s}{s}\ (1)$
i283726789510351570._szw380h285_.jpg.jfif
Let suppose we want to calculate $\displaystyle \ln z$ with z=-1 using (1)... referring to the figure we see that starting from z = 1 we arrive at z = -1 along two different paths, the top or bottom half circle ... in the first case we have...

$\displaystyle \ln -1 = i\ \int_{0}^{\pi} e^{- i\ \theta}\ e^{i\ \theta}\ d \theta = i\ \int_{0}^{\pi} d \theta = \pi\ i\ (2)$

... and in the second case we have...

$\displaystyle \ln -1 = i\ \int_{0}^{- \pi} e^{- i\ \theta}\ e^{i\ \theta}\ d \theta = i\ \int_{0}^{- \pi} d \theta = - \pi\ i\ (3)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of the natural logarithm?

The natural logarithm (ln) of a number is the power to which the base number e (approximately 2.71828) must be raised to obtain that number.

2. How is the natural logarithm related to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that the integral of a function can be evaluated by finding the antiderivative of that function. The natural logarithm is defined using an integral, making it a direct application of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

3. What is the significance of the base number e in the definition of the natural logarithm?

The number e is a special mathematical constant that arises frequently in calculus and other areas of mathematics. It is the base number used in the natural logarithm because it has many useful properties, making it a convenient choice for this definition.

4. Can the natural logarithm be calculated for all real numbers?

Yes, the natural logarithm can be calculated for all positive real numbers. However, it is undefined for zero and negative numbers.

5. How is the natural logarithm used in real-world applications?

The natural logarithm is used in many fields, including finance, physics, and biology. It is commonly used to model exponential growth and decay, such as population growth or radioactive decay. It is also used in calculus to solve problems involving rates of change and optimization.