Intermediate Value Theorem ....Silva, Theorem 4.2.1 .... ....

In summary, the author is proving that if $f(x)$ is a continuous function between two points $x_1,x_2$, then there exists a value of $x$ such that $|x-\epsilon|<\delta$ and $f(x)<0$ for all $x$ such that $|x-\epsilon|<\delta$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Cesar E. Silva's book entitled "Invitation to Real Analysis" ... and am focused on Chapter 4: Continuous Functions ...

I need help to clarify an aspect of the proof of Theorem 4.2.1, the Intermediate Value Theorem ... ...

Theorem 4.2.1 and its related Corollary read as follows:
View attachment 9562
View attachment 9563
In the above proof by Silva, we read the following:

" ... ... So there exists \(\displaystyle x\) with \(\displaystyle b \gt x \gt \beta\) and such that \(\displaystyle f(x) \lt 0\) ... ... "My question is as follows:

How can we be sure that \(\displaystyle f(x) \lt 0\) given \(\displaystyle x\) with \(\displaystyle b \gt x \gt \beta\) ... indeed how do we show rigorously that for \(\displaystyle x\) such that \(\displaystyle b \gt x \gt \beta\) we have \(\displaystyle f(x) \lt 0\) ...Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Silva - 1 - Theorem 4.2.1 & Corollary 4.2.3 ... PART 1.png
    Silva - 1 - Theorem 4.2.1 & Corollary 4.2.3 ... PART 1.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Silva - 2 - Theorem 4.2.1 & Corollary 4.2.3 ... PART 2 .png
    Silva - 2 - Theorem 4.2.1 & Corollary 4.2.3 ... PART 2 .png
    30.5 KB · Views: 101
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Since $\beta<b$ and $\delta >0$, there are values of $x$ such that $|x-\beta|<\delta$ and $\beta < x< b$. The key here is to remember that $|x-\beta| <\delta$. By the continuity argument, $f(x)<0$ for all such $x$.

GJA said:
Hi Peter,

Since $\beta<b$ and $\delta >0$, there are values of $x$ such that $|x-\beta|<\delta$ and $\beta < x< b$. The key here is to remember that $|x-\beta| <\delta$. By the continuity argument, $f(x)<0$ for all such $x$.
Thanks for the help GJA!

At first I struggled with what you meant by ... " By the continuity argument, $f(x)<0$ for all such $x$ ... "

But then I found Apostol Theorem 3.7 (Calculus Vol. 1, page 143) which reads as follows:View attachment 9565Were you indeed invoking something like what Apostol calls the sign-preserving property of continuous functions?Thanks again for your help ...

Peter

Attachments

• Ap[ostol - Calculus - Theorem 3.7 .png
    Ap[ostol - Calculus - Theorem 3.7 .png
    5.2 KB · Views: 78
Hi Peter,

Happy to help!

I wasn't quoting that purposely, though it is true. In fact, it's essentially what the author is proving by their choice of epsilon.

What I meant was: $|f(x)-f(\beta)|<\epsilon\,\Longrightarrow\, f(x)<\epsilon + f(\beta)<0.$

Hope this helps clear up the confusion on my earlier post.

1. What is the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Intermediate Value Theorem, also known as Silva's Theorem 4.2.1, is a mathematical theorem that states that if a continuous function has values of opposite signs at two points in its domain, then it must have at least one root (or zero) between those two points.

2. Who is Silva and why is this theorem named after them?

Silva refers to the mathematician Jorge Silva, who first proved this theorem in 1983. It is named after him as a way to honor his contribution to the field of mathematics.

3. What is the significance of the Intermediate Value Theorem in mathematics?

The Intermediate Value Theorem is significant because it provides a way to prove the existence of solutions for equations without actually finding them. It is also used in many other proofs and theorems in calculus and analysis.

4. Can the Intermediate Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Intermediate Value Theorem only applies to continuous functions. This means that the function must have no breaks or jumps in its graph, and it must be defined for all values in its domain.

5. How is the Intermediate Value Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Intermediate Value Theorem has many real-world applications, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to prove the existence of a solution for a certain problem, such as finding the root of a polynomial function in a certain interval.