What is that machine at the opthamologist's clinic?

• Medical
  • Thread starter rohanprabhu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, the ophthalmologist's assistant showed the patient an image on a machine that had two circular arcs of light. The assistant noted down some numbers from the machine, and the patient could see the image get blurry and then sharp again.
rohanprabhu
i went to an opthamologist today for an eye checkup.. and his assistant told me to put my chin on some machine and that machine sort of showed me an image of some scenery sort of thing. Now, the machine started to do something.. and i could see the image getting blurred again and becoming sharp again. It finally stopped at some point where the image became sharp. Then it did the same thing for the other eye. The assistant then noted down some numbers from that machine.

what exactly does that machine do, what's it's name.. and how does it know when my eyes see a perfectly sharp image?

Biology news on Phys.org
That's an auto-refractor. It gets a quick and dirty reading of the eyes, and generally they spit out a little print-out with your refractive errors (if any) that is attached to your chart, so that when you get shown to an exam room, the ophthalmologist's assistant will have a very close starting point to set the phoropter (that machine that you look through with lots of lenses set in internal wheels... "is this better, or this?"). This saves time in the exam room, so the doctor can examine more people in the course of the day.

thx a lot man.. now that i have the name of the machine.. i'll go wikip it :D

I went to the doctor again for a checkup... and he took a lens holder of some sort and pointed a torch through it into my eye. I could see two circular arcs of light going up and down along the rim of the lens.

what exactly was he doing? Was he trying to dilate my pupils or something??

rohanprabhu said:
I went to the doctor again for a checkup... and he took a lens holder of some sort and pointed a torch through it into my eye. I could see two circular arcs of light going up and down along the rim of the lens.

what exactly was he doing? Was he trying to dilate my pupils or something??
Was your chin in a chin rest, and was he pivoting that bright light from side-to-side while looking into your pupil with another instrument? If so, that bright light was from a slit lamp.

http://images.google.com/images?q=slit++lamp&hl=en&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title

rohanprabhu said:
nothing.. i was sitting in a chair and he held the torch+lens holder at some distance..

what is a slit lamp?

http://www.eyetec.net/group2/M6S1.htm" .

Last edited by a moderator:

What is that machine at the opthamologist's clinic?

The machine at the opthamologist's clinic is called a slit lamp. It is a binocular microscope that allows the doctor to examine the eye in detail.

How does the slit lamp work?

The slit lamp uses a bright light and a narrow beam of light to illuminate and magnify different parts of the eye, including the cornea, iris, lens, and retina. It also has filters that can be used to view different structures in the eye.

Why is the slit lamp used during an eye exam?

The slit lamp is used during an eye exam to help the doctor diagnose and monitor various eye conditions, such as cataracts, glaucoma, and macular degeneration. It allows for a detailed and precise examination of the eye.

Is the slit lamp safe?

Yes, the slit lamp is a safe and non-invasive tool used by eye doctors. The light used is not harmful to the eye and there are no known side effects from its use.

Can the slit lamp detect all eye conditions?

No, the slit lamp is a helpful tool, but it cannot detect all eye conditions. Some conditions, such as vision problems and diseases of the optic nerve, may require additional tests or procedures for proper diagnosis.