What is the acceleration of a toy car rolling down a ramp at a 20 degree angle?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
fk378
Messages
366
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A toy car has a total mass of 50 g, and rolls on freely spinning wheels, each of which can be modeled as a uniform disk of mass 1 g, and radius 2mm. What is the acceleration, a, of this toy car when it rolls without slipping down a ramp tilted at an angle of 20 degrees to the horizontal? By what factor is the toy car faster or slower than a frictionless block of the same total mass, ie what is a_car/a_frictionless?


Homework Equations


F=ma
velocity_center of mass=wr (w is angular velocity, r is radius)


The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know how to start this...how do you find the acceleration?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is like IPhO 2002 problem #3, I don't get it... maybe the solution for it will help?

http://www.jyu.fi/kastdk/olympiads/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see a link for the solution for that problem on the site you posted...I see the question, though. Can you send me a link to the solution?
 
hmm there's no link, I got there by going to the homepage then press on IPhO 02 and then the questions on the top with the answers on the bottom

I got to the part with 5 equations and 5 unknows but I haven't solved it yet. it seems like just a bit more complex situtation of your problem.