1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final velocity of a car rolling down a ramp using energy

1. Jan 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am tasked with finding the theoretical final speed of a car rolling down a hill using energy calculations. I am given the angle of the incline, the height of the ramp, the length of the hill (horizontal and actual length) and the mass of the car. Also, the car is starting at the top of the hill and rolling all the way to the bottom. Friction does not have to be considered.

2. Relevant equations
    I already know that GPE=mgh, and I know that the final kinetic energy must equal the starting GPE. I also know that Ek=1/2mv2.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to find it using the aforementioned Ek rearranged to find v, but then I remembered that would only be true if the object was falling straight down. How would I calculate the final velocity of the car after it has rolled down a ramp?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2016 #2
    that statement is false

using ΔE=0 is the correct approach

that statement while true for this specific problem (if the car starts from rest, which you did not specify), is false for most of the problems you might face.
    Variation of a system's energy (ΔE) (in a system with only conservative forces acting on it) must be equal to zero, which means, in a system where only kinectic and potential energy are present ΔP+ΔK = 0

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted