DAirey
- 13
- 0
It doesn't work like that.newjerseyrunner said:
Ohh, you're right. Silly me. I was reading it like an acceleration and it's not, nothing is accelerating away, it's simply moving with the universe.PeroK said:It doesn't work like that.
The duck would recede at 45mps, but it would take a long time before that recessional velocity doubled. It would have to recede to 6 million light years for that.
You can certainly describe it as an acceleration, provided you use a particular definition for distance and therefore velocity. The second Friedmann equation provides a notion of acceleration that can be used:newjerseyrunner said:Ohh, you're right. Silly me. I was reading it like an acceleration and it's not, nothing is accelerating away, it's simply moving with the universe.
A simpler and more naive calculation is that an object ##1 Mpc## away is receding at ##67km/s##. One second later it is receding at this speed plus the expansion for the extra ##67km##.kimbyd said:You can certainly describe it as an acceleration, provided you use a particular definition for distance and therefore velocity. The second Friedmann equation provides a notion of acceleration that can be used:
$${\ddot{a} \over a} = -{4\pi G \over 3} \left( \rho + {3p \over c^2}\right)$$
Going through this equation is a little complicated, so I'll just roughly go over how you can calculate the answer then provide said answer (hopefully without making an error). Basically, you have to know two things: 1) How to convert each type of matter/energy density to a density fraction, as the density fractions are the values reported by cosmological experiments. 2) How the energy density of each type of matter relates to its pressure.
Once you have these, assuming a flat universe and only matter and a cosmological constant, with some understanding of how the scale factor relates to all of these, you get:
$${\ddot{a} \over a} = H_0^2 \left(-{\Omega_m \over 2a^3} + \Omega_\Lambda\right)$$
For an object at a distance of 3 million light years today (with ##a=1## today by convention), ##\Omega_m = 0.32##, ##\Omega_\Lambda = 0.68##, and ##H_0 = 67##km/s/Mpc, the acceleration of distance today is roughly ##7 \times 10^{-14} m/s^2##, or 2 meters per second per million years, if I did my math correctly.
Over time, as the matter dilutes and the object gets further away, this acceleration will increase.
kimbyd said:the acceleration of distance today
PeroK said:A simpler and more naive calculation is
If you and your duck have zero mass. then the distance between you and the duck will increase over time.DAirey said:View attachment 216691 If me and my pet duck, who weighs next to nothing, were placed far away from any gravity source and in such a way that our mutual attraction was negligible, would I see my duck accelerate away from me? If so, how fast?
Even if they had mass, they may still increase distance apart. It would depend on whether the influence of dark energy can overpower the influence of their mutual gravity. At the 3 million light year mark we’ve been using my assumption is that gravity would be even more neglicable than dark energy. The effects of gravity decrease with distance but the effects of dark energy increase with distance.rootone said:If you and your duck have zero mass. then the distance between you and the duck will increase over time.
You don't have zero mass though, and even if you did you would have to live for millions of years to see anything changed.
Yes, I multiplied by the 3 million light years suggested by newjerseyrunner to get acceleration, based upon the idea that ##d(t) = d_0 a(t)##, so that ##\ddot{d} = d_0 \ddot{a}## for two objects separated by some distance, both at rest with respect to the expansion. I didn't clarify that part.PeterDonis said:You have your units wrong; ##\ddot{a} / a## does not have units of acceleration. It has units of inverse time squared. It has no length dimension because of the ##a## in the denominator. That's what makes it useful--it "factors out" the scale, so it gives us a scale-invariant way of describing how the expansion of the universe is accelerating.
Her number.PeterDonis said:You are calculating something different from @kimbyd. Roughly speaking, you are multiplying ##H## by ##a## to get a change in velocity over a given time, then dividing by that time to get an acceleration. This does not give you ##\ddot{a} / a##.
An easy way to see the difference is to note that your number will be positive if the universe is expanding; but @kimbyd's number is only positive if the expansion is accelerating. If there were no dark energy, we would have ##\Omega_{\Lambda} = 0## in @kimbyd's equation and his number would be negative; but your number would still be the same.
kimbyd said:Her number.
DAirey said:View attachment 216691 If me and my pet duck, who weighs next to nothing, were placed far away from any gravity source and in such a way that our mutual attraction was negligible, would I see my duck accelerate away from me? If so, how fast?
The galaxies are large enough and close enough together to be gravitationally bound. The universe still expands under them, gravity is just so much more dominate. We’re talking about a human and a duck which have essentially no mass one an astronomical scale.Arman777 said:Second thing is, If such thing was possible then our galaxy would also feel such expansion. But we dont, If you think that our milky way has a radius of 15kpc. And we don't see that stars are getting apart or etc. If we place the duck in example between andromeda and milky way or between two superclusters, I think the result would be the same.
Yes I said the same thing didnt I ? Or you mean duck and human will feel the expansion If we put them close?newjerseyrunner said:The galaxies are large enough and close enough together to be gravitationally bound. The universe still expands under them, gravity is just so much more dominate. We’re talking about a human and a duck which have essentially no mass one an astronomical scale.
I'd be lying if I said I followed your derivation, but I don't see the lambda constant in the above equation. The discovery that the expansion of the universe is accelerating is due to the negative pressure of the vacuum that produces a repulsive gravity. Intuitively, it seems to me that this anti-gravity would be ubiquitous and constant (for a given epoch), hence, the question about the duck (would it appear like gravity, but in reverse). Have you considered the effects of vacuum energy in your calculation?kimbyd said:$${\ddot{a} \over a} = -{4\pi G \over 3} \left( \rho + {3p \over c^2}\right)$$
Going through this equation is a little complicated, so
newjerseyrunner said:The universe still expands under them
DAirey said:I don't see the lambda constant in the above equation
DAirey said:Have you considered the effects of vacuum energy in your calculation?
DAirey said:Intuitively, it seems to me that this anti-gravity would be ubiquitous and constant (for a given epoch)
Ah, yes, I see that now. Thank you.PeterDonis said:See my post #17 just now.
Are you sure that's ##m## ##s^{-2}## and not ##km## ##s^{-2}##?kimbyd said:For an object at a distance of 3 million light years today (with ##a=1## today by convention), ##\Omega_m = 0.32##, ##\Omega_\Lambda = 0.68##, and ##H_0 = 67##km/s/Mpc, the acceleration of distance today is roughly ##7 \times 10^{-14} m/s^2##, or 2 meters per second per million years, if I did my math correctly.
DAirey said:Are you saying that that there's a single, constant acceleration that's too tiny to measure is correct
DAirey said:I would think the negative pressure would be constant and, thus, the acceleration would be constant (for any given epoch).
I used shorthand to include the cosmological constant in the energy density, to keep things simple. You can always include ##\Lambda## as an energy density which has ##p = -\rho##, which also implies it doesn't change over time.DAirey said:I'd be lying if I said I followed your derivation, but I don't see the lambda constant in the above equation. The discovery that the expansion of the universe is accelerating is due to the negative pressure of the vacuum that produces a repulsive gravity. Intuitively, it seems to me that this anti-gravity would be ubiquitous and constant (for a given epoch), hence, the question about the duck (would it appear like gravity, but in reverse). Have you considered the effects of vacuum energy in your calculation?
It's only constant if you are in a universe that only has a cosmological constant, and no matter density. In that special case, the acceleration formula is much simpler:DAirey said:Ah, yes, I see that now. Thank you.
It would be very helpful if you could edit the above posts down to a single answer. Are you saying that that there's a single, constant acceleration that's too tiny to measure is correct or are you saying that @kimbyd's answer of ##7 \times 10^{-13} m## ##s^{-2}## per every 3 MLy years is correct? Does @kimbyd 's answer imply that you'd have an acceleration of ##1.4 \times 10^{-12} m## ##s^{-2}## every 6 MLy? I would think the negative pressure would be constant and, thus, the acceleration would be constant (for any given epoch).
I may have made a mistake, but I definitely didn't make that mistake.DAirey said:Are you sure that's ##m## ##s^{-2}## and not ##km## ##s^{-2}##?
kimbyd said:I may have made a mistake
As both, dark energy and matter density contribute to tidal gravity should one distinguish between tidal gravity on large scales where one can assume homogeneous matter density and tidal gravity within gravitationally bound systems where the the matter density is much higher locally than the homogeneous matter density?PeterDonis said:The presence of dark energy does create a kind of "force" (more precisely, tidal gravity) that, in principle, is present on all scales and within gravitationally bound systems;
timmdeeg said:would one expect less tidal gravity within gravitationally bound systems compared to tidal gravity assuming perfect fluid at the same scale
timmdeeg said:the Friedmann equations can't be applied in an inhomogeneous universe locally
timmdeeg said:From this it seems that if one can't apply the second Friedmann equation locally then one can't discuss tidal gravity locally
Lets say the gravitationally bound system is a galaxy. How would tidal gravity due to the Weyl tensor act? If the galaxy (thought as a ball of stars) would be in free fall towards a large mass it would be deformed while keeping the volume constant. But I think this isn't what you are talking about.PeterDonis said:In a gravitationally bound system, the density is not so much higher than in the universe at large, as much more variable--you have regions of very high density (stars and planets) separated by regions of very low density (space between them). In the interiors of stars and planets, tidal gravity is basically Ricci, like in a homogeneous perfect fluid (the interiors of stars and planets aren't precisely homogeneous perfect fluids, but they're close enough for this discussion). In the vacuum regions between them, the Ricci tensor is zero and all of the tidal gravity is due to the Weyl tensor, which affects the shape of a small ball of test particles without affecting its volume (the ball expands radially and shrinks tangentially)..
timmdeeg said:Lets say the gravitationally bound system is a galaxy. How would tidal gravity due to the Weyl tensor act?
timmdeeg said:If the galaxy (thought as a ball of stars) would be in free fall towards a large mass it would be deformed while keeping the volume constant.
timmdeeg said:When you say "The presence of dark energy does create a kind of "force" (more precisely, tidal gravity) that, in principle, is present on all scales and within gravitationally bound systems" I was thinking that you mean tidal gravity due to Ricci curvature
timmdeeg said:I don't get how this (tidal gravity due to Ricci curvature) can be applied to a galaxy which consists almost of vacuum