What is the acceleration of the expansion of the Universe?

In summary, the acceleration of the expansion of the Universe is the rate at which the distance between objects in the Universe is increasing. It is currently estimated to be around 74.3 km/s/Mpc. This acceleration is measured using various methods, including observations of distant supernovae, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the large-scale structure of the Universe. The cause of this acceleration is still being researched, with dark energy being the leading explanation. Current observations suggest that the acceleration is not constant, but is increasing over time. This has significant implications for our understanding of the Universe, challenging previous models and theories and impacting ideas about the fate of the Universe.
JamesGarderiner
TL;DR Summary
I am aware that the universe expansion is accelerating and I have heard that the acceleration might not be constant. I need values of the acceleration and rate of change of acceleration and I can't find any.
I can't find any values of acceleration or rate of change of acceleration of the expansion of the universe when I looked it up and I need these values for a theory I'm working on that could supersede dark energy and show the universe is closed even if everything accelorating away from us and even if the rate of change of acceleration is positive. Does anybody know these values or know where I might be able to find them? Thanks :)

Space news on Phys.org
JamesGarderiner said:
Summary:: I am aware that the universe expansion is accelerating and I have heard that the acceleration might not be constant. I need values of the acceleration and rate of change of acceleration and I can't find any.

Does anybody know these values or know where I might be able to find them?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_of_the_universe

JamesGarderiner said:
Summary:: I am aware that the universe expansion is accelerating and I have heard that the acceleration might not be constant. I need values of the acceleration and rate of change of acceleration and I can't find any.

I can't find any values of acceleration or rate of change of acceleration of the expansion of the universe when I looked it up and I need these values for a theory I'm working on that could supersede dark energy and show the universe is closed even if everything accelorating away from us and even if the rate of change of acceleration is positive. Does anybody know these values or know where I might be able to find them? Thanks :)
What it means for the universe expansion to be accelerating is explained here:

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/p...ology-by-Andrew-R-Liddle-author/9781118502143

A bargain at £24.99.

JamesGarderiner said:
I can't find any values of acceleration or rate of change of acceleration of the expansion of the universe
I can only conclude that either you didn't look very hard at all or you somehow didn't understand the answer when it was presented. This is what I got with a simple search
1631723048437.png

Likes Motore and berkeman
phinds said:
I can only conclude that either you didn't look very hard at all or you somehow didn't understand the answer when it was presented. This is what I got with a simple search
73.5 km/sec/Mpc shows how the velocity of bodies relative to us changes with distance, If a star was 1 Mpc away from us it would be going 73.5 km/s. That's velocity, not acceleration nor rate of change of acceleration. How dare you slander me sir! If you were to read the question that the answer is for, it says the rate of expansion, not the rate of change of expansion, which is what you searched. That's why I'm having difficulty. Everywhere says the rate of expansion but non say the rate of change of expansion!

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
PeroK said:
What it means for the universe expansion to be accelerating is explained here
I know what it means for the universe expansion to be accelerating, however, I can't find a magnitude of this acceleration. That's what I meant by the question.

JamesGarderiner said:
73.5 km/sec/Mpc shows how the velocity of bodies relative to us changes with distance, If a star was 1 Mpc away from us it would be going 73.5 km/s. That's velocity, not acceleration nor rate of change of acceleration. How dare you slander me sir! If you were to read the question that answer is for, it says the rate of expansion, not the rate of change of expansion, which is what you searched. That's why I'm having difficulty. Everywhere says the rate of expansion but non say the rate of change of expansion!
I didn't slander you, I offered two possibilities. You have shown that my second one was correct. You didn't understand the answer. You are looking for something that doesn't exist**. If it DID exist, the statement in Wikipedia would be incorrect and presumably would not be there (or in the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of other places you can find it, including textbooks.

@berkeman gave you a link in post #2 which explains the expansion.

**I'm assuming you mean rate of change of acceleration over time, in the sense that something a given distance D away from us is accelerating away from us now at rate X but that at some time in the future an object a distance D away from us will be accelerating away from us at a rate of nX and you are looking for n.

• Skeptical
Likes Bandersnatch and berkeman
JamesGarderiner said:
I need these values for a theory I'm working on
Discussion of personal theories is off topic for Physics Forums. Thread closed.

1. What is the acceleration of the expansion of the Universe?

The acceleration of the expansion of the Universe refers to the rate at which the space between galaxies is increasing. It is measured in units of distance per time squared, such as kilometers per second squared. Currently, the acceleration of the expansion of the Universe is estimated to be around 74 kilometers per second per megaparsec.

2. How is the acceleration of the expansion of the Universe measured?

The acceleration of the expansion of the Universe is measured using various methods, including observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the brightness of supernovae, and the distribution of galaxies. These measurements are then used to calculate the expansion rate of the Universe and determine its acceleration.

3. What is causing the acceleration of the expansion of the Universe?

The cause of the acceleration of the expansion of the Universe is still a topic of debate among scientists. One theory is that it is due to a mysterious force called dark energy, which makes up about 70% of the total energy in the Universe. Another theory is that the acceleration is caused by modifications to the laws of gravity at large scales.

4. Has the acceleration of the expansion of the Universe always been the same?

No, the acceleration of the expansion of the Universe has not always been the same. In fact, it was previously thought that the expansion of the Universe was slowing down due to the gravitational pull of matter. However, in the late 1990s, observations of distant supernovae showed that the expansion of the Universe is actually accelerating.

5. What are the implications of the acceleration of the expansion of the Universe?

The acceleration of the expansion of the Universe has significant implications for our understanding of the Universe and its future. It suggests that the Universe will continue to expand at an increasing rate, eventually leading to a "Big Freeze" scenario where all matter and energy are spread out and the Universe becomes cold and dark. It also challenges our current theories of gravity and the nature of dark energy, leading to ongoing research and discoveries in these areas.