What is the amount of work done in moving the box from the bottom to t

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the amount of work done in moving a 160 Newton box from the bottom to the top of a frictionless plane inclined at 30°. The problem can be solved using conservation of energy, as no energy is lost to friction. The concept of work and energy are also clarified.
TheLetterDex

Homework Statement

A 160 Newton box sits on a 10 meter long frictionless plane inclined at an angle of 30° to the horizontal as shown. Force (F) applied to a rope attached to the box causes the box to move with a constant speed up the incline.

Calculate the amount of work done in moving the box from the bottom to the top of the inclined plane.
_____ J

The Attempt at a Solution

So far i come up with h=u*t-0.5*g*t^2, but now sure where to go

Physics news on Phys.org
TheLetterDex said:
So far i come up with h=u*t-0.5*g*t^2, but now sure where to go

What is "h" and what is "u"?

There is a simple way to do this based on conservation of energy. None of the energy is lost to friction.

Nathanael said:
What is "h" and what is "u"?

There is a simple way to do this based on conservation of energy. None of the energy is lost to friction.

Yeah I am not sure where i was going with this very confused with the question

TheLetterDex said:
Yeah I am not sure where i was going with this very confused with the question

The problem says to find the work done.

Work is (or "causes") a change in energy.

Does the box change it's energy at all from the bottom of the incline to the top?

from thereI would like to clarify that the work done in physics is defined as the product of the force applied and the distance over which the force is applied. In this scenario, the force applied is the component of the weight of the box (mg) along the incline, which is given by F=mg*sin(30°). The distance over which this force is applied is the height of the incline, which is given by h=10*sin(30°). Therefore, the work done in moving the box from the bottom to the top of the inclined plane can be calculated as W=F*h=mg*sin(30°)*10*sin(30°)=80 J. This is the amount of work done in moving the box against gravity and does not take into account any work done by the force applied to maintain a constant speed.

What is the amount of work done in moving the box from the bottom to t?

The amount of work done in moving an object from one point to another is determined by the force applied and the distance traveled. In this case, the work done in moving the box from the bottom to t would depend on the force used and the distance the box is moved.

How is work calculated in this scenario?

In order to calculate work, you need to multiply the force applied by the distance traveled. This is known as the work formula: W = F * d. The unit for work is joules (J).

What factors influence the amount of work done?

The amount of work done is influenced by the magnitude of the force applied and the distance traveled. Other factors such as the angle of the force and the time it takes to move the object can also affect the amount of work done.

Is the amount of work done the same as the energy used?

Yes, work and energy are closely related concepts. The amount of work done is equal to the change in energy of the object. In other words, the work done on an object results in a change in its energy.

Can the amount of work done be negative?

Yes, the amount of work done can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the force applied is opposite to the direction of the movement. Negative work means that the object loses energy instead of gaining it.