What is the angle of equilibrium for a rod in a hemispherical bowl?

• Thread starter Tracyxyzd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod
In summary, a uniform rod of length 3R with weight W is inside a hemispherical bowl with radius R. The angle corresponding to equilibrium can be determined by taking moments about B and using the equations Acos(theta) - mg sin(theta) = 0 and sin(theta)/R = sin(180-2theta)/AB simplified to AB/2 = Rcos(theta). This results in 4 equations and 4 unknowns (A, B, AB, and theta).
Tracyxyzd

Homework Statement

A uniform rod AB of length 3R weight W rests inside a hemispherical bowl with radius of R. Determine the angle corresponding to equilibrium.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Moment about A: -1.5R*mg cos(theta)+B*AB=0
Sum Fx: Acos(theta)-mg sin(theta)=0
Sum Fy: Asin(theta)-mg cos(theta)+B=0
sin(theta)/R=Sin(180-2theta)/AB

I have 4 equations and 4 unknowns: A, B, AB, theta

Does that seem right?

Attachments

• bowl.jpg
    bowl.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,298
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tracyxyzd said:
Does that seem right?
Yes, that all looks correct.
You could make it a bit simpler by taking moments about B instead of A, and leaving out sum Fy. That eliminates force B.
Also, the last equation can be simplified a lot. Just consider how to find AB/2 from R and theta.

If I take the moment about B, how would I get the perpendicular distance between the y component of the weight and B?
AB/2=Rcos(theta)

Tracyxyzd said:
If I take the moment about B, how would I get the perpendicular distance between the y component of the weight and B?
AB/2=Rcos(theta)
Yes, that gives you AB. Subtract half the rod length from that to get the distance from B to the midpoint of the rod, then multiply by cos(theta) to get the horizontal distance.

1. What is a "Rod in Hemispherical Bowl"?

A "Rod in Hemispherical Bowl" is a scientific experiment that involves placing a rod inside a hemispherical bowl and observing its motion.

2. What is the purpose of the "Rod in Hemispherical Bowl" experiment?

The purpose of the experiment is to study the motion of an object in a curved surface, which can help understand concepts such as centripetal force and angular momentum.

3. How is the "Rod in Hemispherical Bowl" experiment performed?

The experiment is performed by placing a rod inside a hemispherical bowl and giving it an initial push. The motion of the rod is then observed and recorded.

4. What factors can affect the motion of the rod in the hemispherical bowl?

The motion of the rod can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity and direction of the push, the shape and size of the bowl, and the surface properties of the rod and bowl.

5. What can the "Rod in Hemispherical Bowl" experiment teach us?

The experiment can teach us about the principles of circular motion and how they apply to real-world scenarios. It can also help develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills in the field of physics.