What is the angle of the the mirror?

In summary, the angle of the mirror is unknown, but it is possible to calculate the length of the room based on how far the dark shadows are from the front wall.
InSpiRatioNy
[Urgent] What is the angle of the the mirror?

Homework Statement

music-lesson.jpg

There is an intriguing aspect to Vermerr's "The Music" painting. If you notice, in the mirror there is a reflection of the woman and above that there is a reflection of what appears to be the feet of an easel. Upon closer inspection you can see the base of the back wall reflected in the mirror. The intersection of the back wal and floor in the mirror is marked on the outline in the image. We can use this as a second method to determine the length of the room. But the question is, what is the angle from the wall at which the mirror hangs?
Picture given: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?2e866c251b.jpg

Side view of the room (for measuring the angle):

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/2651/musiclesson2xx1.jpg
http://g.imageshack.us/img505/musiclesson2xx1.jpg/1/

Homework Equations

Don't Know

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated the length of the room: 6.6 m but it might be wrong, still just base it on 6.6. meters.

This is already the last part, so help if you can! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Do you see the dark shadow and lighter shadow at the paintings and the open chests right side ?? The long and lighter shadow is caused by the first set of windows. The windows at back can reach where the front ones cannot so that makes it lighter. As you can see there is a darker shadow also. I suppose that the room consists of 2 sets of 4 windows according to dark and light shadows and my predictions. Because if there were more sets of windows then there would be dark, light and lighter shadows. So by calculating the length of the dark shadows (only dark ones) at the time where they are equal by lenght, it shows that, at that point they are equally far from the front wall. Aquire the lenghts of painting and chest, desk or whatever it is, you can calculate the angle. but maybe the colomn in the middle is reflection of room. I mean if there is 3 metres front the middle colomn there will be 3 at back so length is 3+3+lenght of colomn.

So my length is probably about right.

What confuses me is how to get the angle... I think it may have something to do with optics on mirrors... I know the angle should be 15 degrees or about that because I measured it from a to scale diagram, but I need to actually find it...

since it's a painting the "actuality" is not even concerned. But try the dark shadow thing i said right up.

edit: whatever you do with the painting, you will get a ratio of lenghts, so how can you predict the actuall? The lady may be 1,50m or 1,80m and the rooms length would slightly change. I suppose you need something like a tiles lengh.

Last edited:

okay

Thanks

1. What is the angle of reflection?

The angle of reflection is the angle between the reflected ray and the normal line drawn at the point of incidence on the mirror surface.

2. How is the angle of reflection measured?

The angle of reflection is measured by drawing a line from the point of incidence on the mirror surface to the point where the reflected ray hits the mirror. The angle between this line and the normal line is the angle of reflection.

3. Can the angle of reflection be greater than the angle of incidence?

No, according to the law of reflection, the angle of reflection is always equal to the angle of incidence. This means that the reflected ray will always be at the same angle as the incident ray.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection?

The angle of incidence and the angle of reflection are always equal. This is known as the law of reflection, which states that the angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence.

5. How does the angle of reflection change if the mirror is curved?

If the mirror is curved, the angle of reflection will vary depending on where the reflected ray hits the mirror's surface. However, the law of reflection still applies, meaning that the angle of reflection will always be equal to the angle of incidence at the point of incidence.