1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the angle θ between the tow rope and the center line

1. Nov 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Water skiers often ride to one side of the center line of a boat, as shown in the figure (Figure 1) . In this case, the ski boat is traveling at 15 m/s and the tension in the rope is 90 N.

If the boat does 3700 N of work on the skier in 54.8 m, what is the angle θ between the tow rope and the center line of the boat?
    Walker4e.ch07.Pr017.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    work=force x Δdistance

3. The attempt at a solution
    I feel all over the place with this one. I don't know where to start. All i know is that I will be getting the angle of cosine since movement is in the horizontal direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2016 #2
    So you have a force of 90 N, and you have a distance of 54.8 meters. What if you multiply those two together? You get 4932 J. That number is larger than the 3700 N (Newton? units are wrong on the 3700) of work stated in the problem. So apparently, all of that 90 N force is not being used to perform work. So the angle θ has to somehow come into play. How much of that 90 N force is being used to produce work?

4. Nov 10, 2016 #3
    just to add on what TomHart said... free body diagrams are very helpful...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted