What Is the Angular Momentum of Two Masses on a Rotating Rod?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
MissPenguins
Messages
58
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A light, rigid rod l = 9.44 m in length rotates
in the xy plane about a pivot through the
rod’s center. Two particles of masses m1 =
9.1 kg and m2 = 2.5 kg are connected to its
ends.


Determine the angular momentum of the
system about the origin at the instant the
speed of each particle is v = 2.1 m/s.
Answer in units of kgm2/s.

Homework Equations


Lz=Iw
I = mr2
I = (1/12)ML2
w = v/r

The Attempt at a Solution


I used the above equations:
Lz=Iw
I = mr2
I = (1/12)ML2
w = v/r
I = 1/12(9.1kg)((9.44)2)=67.578
I = 1/12(2.5kg)((9.44)2)=18.57
sum of I = 86.1431
Used w = v/r = ((2.1m/s))/(9.44/2)=0.444915
Lz=Iw
(86.1431)(0.444915)=38.32639
I got it wrong, please help, what did I do wrong? Did I even approach the right way? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To find the correct value of I, you would need the moment of inertia about the centre of mass?
 
For the MOI about the centre of mass, take take the radius as 4.72m and the centre x=0.
Hence,

centre of mass, [tex]x_{cm}= \frac{2.5\times -4.72 +9.1\times 4.72}{2.5+9.1}<br /> =2.68m[/tex]

MOI, [tex]I_{cm}=\frac{1}{12}(M_{system})(x_{cm})^{2}=\frac{1}{12}(11.6)(2.68)^{2}=6.94[/tex]

[tex]\omega=\frac{v}{r}<br /> =\frac{2.1}{4.72}<br /> = 0.44 rad/s[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]L=I\omega=6.94\times 0.44=3.05 kgm^{2}/s[/tex]
 
mitch987 said:
For the MOI about the centre of mass, take take the radius as 4.72m and the centre x=0.
Hence,

centre of mass, [tex]x_{cm}= \frac{2.5\times -4.72 +9.1\times 4.72}{2.5+9.1}<br /> =2.68m[/tex]

MOI, [tex]I_{cm}=\frac{1}{12}(M_{system})(x_{cm})^{2}=\frac{1}{12}(11.6)(2.68)^{2}=6.94[/tex]

[tex]\omega=\frac{v}{r}<br /> =\frac{2.1}{4.72}<br /> = 0.44 rad/s[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]L=I\omega=6.94\times 0.44=3.05 kgm^{2}/s[/tex]


I tried that, but it is not right either. ;(