What is the angular velocity of the child and the merry-go-round?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jk2455
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
the statement:

a child runs at 3m/s and jumps tangentially onto a stationary merry-go-round. the moment of inertia of the merry-go-round is 360kgm2 and the radius is 2.0m. what is the angular velocity of the child and the merry-go-round?

answer- 0.500rad s-1 or 0.500s-1[/SUP

i honestly have no idea what to do could someone please break the question down to a bit easier understanding.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a conservation of momentum problem. Treat the child as a point mass on the rim of a circle to find the child's moment of inertia and then add it to the MGR to find total I.
 
so this is what i did but now I am stuck and don't know if I am on the right track

Ichild=45x22
= 180kgm2
Itotal=Imgr+Ichild
=540kgm2
Vf=m1v1+m2v2/(m1+m2)
=m1v1/(m1+m2)
=1 m/s