What is the approximate weight of a 20.kg rock

In summary, the decimal in the given measurement of mass means that a second significant figure must be considered when rounding, resulting in a force of 200N with 2 significant figures. Scientific notation is a helpful tool in clarifying significant figures. The teacher's error in solving problems may indicate a lack of professionalism.
vaironl
Since it has a decimal it would be 20kg * 9.8m/s which equals 196kg m/s^2 = 196N

But the decimal means i have to round two sig figs, which would make it 200N?

A very simple problem, I really don't know why I'm asking it.

Physics news on Phys.org
tiny-tim said:
hi vaironl! :smile:

do you mean 20.0 kg ?

if so, that's three significant figures :wink:

Thanks for the reply, tim. "And let me say, that is a big post count"

My paper says 20.kg so I'm rounding to two significant figures. Am I right?

i've no idea what "20.kg" means :redface:

i understand "20 kg" and "20.0 kg", but I've never seen "20.kg" or even "20. kg" :confused:

Yes that is correct. When you see things like 20.kg, it means that the 0 is significant. If it were simply 20kg without the decimal, that would mean the number is only accurate to 1 significant figure. If, as tiny-tim advised, it were 20.0 kg, it would mean the second 0 is significant as well and there are 3 significant figures to take into account.

So your answer is 200N, accurate to 2 significant figures.

Scientific notation is really great because it clears these kind of odd notations. 20kg to 2 significant figures in SI notation would be 2.0 x 10^1 kg, clearly showing the 0 is significant.

ah! thanks, Pengwuino! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
i've no idea what "20.kg" means :redface:

i understand "20 kg" and "20.0 kg", but I've never seen "20.kg" or even "20. kg" :confused:

Pengwuino said:
Yes that is correct. When you see things like 20.kg, it means that the 0 is significant. If it were simply 20kg without the decimal, that would mean the number is only accurate to 1 significant figure. If, as tiny-tim advised, it were 20.0 kg, it would mean the second 0 is significant as well and there are 3 significant figures to take into account.

So your answer is 200N, accurate to 2 significant figures.

Scientific notation is really great because it clears these kind of odd notations. 20kg to 2 significant figures in SI notation would be 2.0 x 10^1 kg, clearly showing the 0 is significant.

Thanks, I knew something was going wrong. My teacher usually does things like that.
I can't believe sometimes he even gets about 3-6 problems incorrectly which demonstrates unprofessional work ethic.

1. What is the exact weight of a 20.kg rock?

The exact weight of a 20.kg rock is 20 kilograms.

2. How do you determine the weight of a 20.kg rock?

The weight of a 20.kg rock can be determined by using a scale or balance to measure its mass in kilograms.

3. Can the weight of a 20.kg rock vary?

Yes, the weight of a 20.kg rock can vary depending on its composition, density, and any added substances such as water or minerals.

4. Is it possible to estimate the weight of a 20.kg rock without a scale?

No, it is not possible to accurately estimate the weight of a 20.kg rock without using a scale or balance to measure its mass.

5. How does the weight of a 20.kg rock compare to other objects?

The weight of a 20.kg rock may vary greatly compared to other objects, as it depends on the size, density, and composition of the rock. However, 20 kilograms is equivalent to approximately 44 pounds.