What Is the Average Acceleration of a Super Ball Bouncing Off a Wall?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rob21
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball Motion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Rob21
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 50.0 g Super Ball traveling at 30.0 m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 22.0 m/s. A high-speed camera records this event. If the ball is in contact with the wall for 5.00 ms, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration of the ball during this time interval? (Note: 1 ms = 10-3 s.)


Homework Equations



avg acceleration=(final V-initial V)/change in time

The Attempt at a Solution



(22m/s-30m/s)/0.005s= -1600m/s^2 and since it asks for the magnitude my final answer is
1600m/s^2

This was from my online physics homework. I really don't see what I'm doing wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Rob21 said:

Homework Statement



A 50.0 g Super Ball traveling at 30.0 m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 22.0 m/s. A high-speed camera records this event. If the ball is in contact with the wall for 5.00 ms, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration of the ball during this time interval? (Note: 1 ms = 10-3 s.)

Homework Equations



avg acceleration=(final V-initial V)/change in time

The Attempt at a Solution



(22m/s-30m/s)/0.005s= -1600m/s^2 and since it asks for the magnitude my final answer is
1600m/s^2

This was from my online physics homework. I really don't see what I'm doing wrong.

I think you need to look at your direction signs more carefully.

Remember velocity is a vector. The sign you assign it needs to be carried through the calculation.